Redhat Linux, alias IP's and hang on boot

Redhat Linux, alias IP's and hang on boot

Post by Paul Peters » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

When I add an ip alias to my ethernet card, next time I boot, it just
hangs waiting for me to press any key to continue booting. Then, it
boots, the card loads and all is well.

This is great except when I remote boot it and can't be there to push
a key on the console keyboard to complete the boot!!

Any ideas ??

Redhat 5.1

TIA,

Paul Peterson
Winterlink

Redhat Linux, alias IP's and hang on boot

Post by Andreas Ma » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello all,

> When I add an ip alias to my ethernet card, next time I boot, it just
> hangs waiting for me to press any key to continue booting. Then, it
> boots, the card loads and all is well.

> This is great except when I remote boot it and can't be there to push
> a key on the console keyboard to complete the boot!!

I'm having the same problem here. RH5.1.

--
Sincerely, Andreas.

1. Can't boot linux, hangs with this error at boot ?

Hi,
I installed RH5.0 on my 2nd scsi drive(first one has Win3.1).
I don't have any IDE drive.

RH5.0 gave me two options(somethig like this):
1. install LILO on first drive overwriting MBR
2. install boot loader on my '/dev/sdb5' partition which I made '/'

It didn't give option to create a boot floppy. I choose #2 as I don't want
to touch my W3.1 disk which I use for telecommuting work.

Per suggestions from kind fellows on this forum, I tried all below
at the boot prompt of install floppy(since it doesn't see my CDROM, I have
to give cdrom option also):

a. boot: linux root=/dev/sdb5 /dev/hda=cdrom
b. boot: linux root=/dev/sdb5 /dev/hda=cdrom initrd=
c. boot: linux vmlinuz=/dev/sdb5 initrd=
d. boot: linux vmlinuz=/dev/sdb5 noinitrd
e. boot: linux root=/dev/sdb5 noinitrd /dev/hda=cdrom

etc. etc.

That is, all variations of above(and also dropping/adding-back some options).
But everytime after some boot-up related messages I get this error and it hangs.

Partition check:
VFS: cannot open root device 08:15
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:15

I am stuck, I installed linux a week ago but haven't been able to boot
it once. I want to make a boot floppy when it comes up and use that
onwards.  I don't want to setup LILO for dual boot on my W3.1 disk(I
know it's safe but I am not a PC expert and am afraid of messing up my
job stuff).

What do I need to do ? Please help.
Thx much.

AH

2. Linux memory mapped file?

3. IP aliasing? (many IP's, one NIC)

4. Network ID & Broadcast Adress

5. Can't Boot Redhat 5.1, Hangs up at, Setting Clock:

6. YAPPPP - Yet another PPP problem

7. First boot after install hangs after ''Starting PCMCIA services''.

8. UMC 8886BF chipset with AMD 5x86

9. 2.5.59 doesn't boot - hangs after 'Uncompressing the kernel'

10. 'IP alias' for single node machines?

11. SCO 3.2v4 won't boot - hangs after 'kernel: i/o bufs'

12. IP 'aliases' allowed?

13. Set up 'named' to map domain to ip alias