hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

Post by Mats Forssbl » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm at a loss as to how my Red Hat 3.03 is SUPPOSED to find a FQDN.
And it doesn't. And I can't get anything out of giving 127.0.0.1, or
my ever-changing IP-number, to Arena or Netscape. Now, control panel
has a tool where I configure it like name "froz", domain "algonet.se"
and FQDN "froz.algonet.se". But that doesn't do it. Also I don't
understand WHERE this tool is supposed to put in "froz.algonet.se",
which anyway isn't a "real" FQDN.
I have got a bare minimum of network parameters in the scripts.
Actually all I need for my Pap-ppp is domain and nameservers in
resolv.conf. Ifconfig tells me about my temporary ip-number when I'm
connected.
Read somewhere sometime that this is a common problem having to do
with a fault in the routing in the scripts, or with the loopback, but
I can't find this text anywhere.
My goal is to run Apache, and send my ever-changing Ip-number to my
homepage on the ISP-provider. Actually I got all of that running on
another operative system.

hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

Post by Mats Forssbl » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

FQDN problem: first entry in /etc/hosts should be a FQDN.
Route problem:" route add 127.0.0.1", command-line or in
a network-script. Original ifup-lo-script hade variable, exchanged
it with 127.0.0.1. And as a bonus Apache now runs clockwork
with both loopback and the dynamically assigned ip-adress
for-the-moment.

Post by Nicklas Norlin » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I'm at a loss as to how my Red Hat 3.03 is SUPPOSED to find a FQDN.
> Actually all I need for my Pap-ppp is domain and nameservers in
> resolv.conf. Ifconfig tells me about my temporary ip-number when I'm
> connected.
> Read somewhere sometime that this is a common problem having to do
> with a fault in the routing in the scripts, or with the loopback, but
> I can't find this text anywhere.

Hmm, if you think nameresolution is ok. And it seems it is. You should
take a look at routes. Type route to see you current routes.
When PPP has been established you need a default route to internet via
your ISP. pppd has a defaultroute parameters also read man pages for
route.
If I'm not syntaxically incorrect 'route add default ppp0' or something
like
it should establish a route. Also se PPP-HOWTO and Network
administrators guide.

Good luck Mats!
/Nicke

1. 'hostname' under Redhat 3.0.3 (can't find FQDN)

  I'm having an odd problem with 'hostname' on my RedHat distribution.
After performing a clean installation off the CDROM, everything seems
to work find, except that 'hostname -s' returns a message: "Can't
find FQDN for hostname <hostname>."  I'm not at all sure where this
message is coming from, especially since I've tried installing it a
number of different ways, both with the networking package
installation (which actually prompts for an FQDN) and without it.

  I've played with /etc/hosts quite a bit.  I'm not running any kind
of DNS to my knowledge.  I've removed and edited /etc/resolv.conf
substantially, trying to determine where the problem is originating.
I've done just a lot of hacking around, and I couldn't find it.  If
anyone here has any ideas, your input would be appreciated.

  My system is a P150 with 48MB of RAM, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 4.5GB
disks, DEC Tulip PCI Ethernet card (although the kernel that comes
with the distribution doesn't see the ethernet card, I have tried this
same thing after compiling my own 2.0.7 kernel which does see the
card, and I have the same problem.)

  Thanks a lot for any help.

Brian Markenson                     |  Systems Consultant, Taos Mountain

http://server.berkeley.edu/~brianm  |  Magician, SF Fan, Puzzler, Gamer

2. lp: unable to get major 6

3. Tonight on 'Linux Deathmatch' - hostname vs. FQDN vs. NT network

4. Developer eases United Linux fears

5. Should ``hostname'' give an FQDN?

6. Oops from gpm.c

7. RH 4.0 upgrade fails: 'hostname' ok, but 'uname -n' == "(none)"

8. DT messaging system could not be started

9. Where is 'nodename' & 'hostname' kept

10. dip says 'set HOSTNAME', but it's set

11. /bin/hostname -S won't set hostname

12. su command without '-' gives no hostname in prompt

13. Problems with Slackware Linux and 'hostname'