Laptop w/ 2 PCMCIA NICS being given same IRQ

Laptop w/ 2 PCMCIA NICS being given same IRQ

Post by <a.. » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:23:04

    I have two 3COM 3C575 PCMCIA NICS in a laptop that I plan on running as
a firewall.  They're both recognized but are given the same IRQ.

    The cards are slightly different.  One is a 575BT-D and the other is a
575CT-D.

    I can get one of the cards working fine on the LAN interface but the WAN
interface won't work.  I can switch the config and the results are reversed.

    Both cards work great in W2K.

    Can some tell me how I might be able to tweak the settings to get these
*s working properly?

Laptop w/ 2 PCMCIA NICS being given same IRQ

Post by God_Of_Pai » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:46:09

I have had this problem, the way I fixed it is to add an append line to
/etc/lilo.conf like so

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=791
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
linear
prompt
timeout=150
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"
        append="eth0 io=0x300,irq=10 eth1 io=0x320,irp=12"
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-up
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda1
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only
other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe

After adding the line append="eth0 io=0x300,irq=10 eth1 io=0x320,irp=12"
you would have to run lilo. Note this is my lilo.conf, do not copy the
entire file, just the append line for the NIC's. Also my NIC's are ISA not
PCMCIA so I don't know if that will work for you. Also, use your io and irq
settings as needed.