PPPD error - Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean: - Help

PPPD error - Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean: - Help

Post by Phil Whi » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

PPP config Problems
Sorry peeps, but I wonder if someone could give me a hand..? I'v been
trying to get the PPPD up and running on my box, and have so far
failed miserably. The main problem is I can't see what is failing, so
I don't know how to put it right.

I'm using a chat script to dial. This works OK. Dials, connects,
authenticates, and I get the message 'Connected'.
BUT, thats it. I cannot ping. Then, about a minute later, I'm
disconnected.

Looking in /var/log, I have...
        PPP 2.2.0 started
        Serial connection established (using PPP0)
        Connect: PPP0 <--> /dev/modem
        Sent [LCP ConfReq id 0x1 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x20a0000>
                magic 0x757b7a10 <pcomp> <accomp> ]
        Last message repeated 9 times
        LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
        Connection terminated
        Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean:
        Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
        Exit

What am I missing, and how do I put it right?

TIA

Phil

the{dot}man{at}mcb{dot}net

PPPD error - Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean: - Help

Post by Clifford Ki » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: PPP config Problems

: I'm using a chat script to dial. This works OK. Dials, connects,
: authenticates, and I get the message 'Connected'.
: BUT, thats it. I cannot ping. Then, about a minute later, I'm
: disconnected.

: Looking in /var/log, I have...
:         LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
:         Connection terminated
:         Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean:
:         Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
:

This is probably the most frequently asked question about ppp.  It almost
always means that your chat script is not working for your ISP and the
ISP has not started ppp but is stuck at a text prompt.  Check the
PPP-HOWTO, it contains a section on "8 bit clean".

If nothing rings a bell then try replacing <CONNECT ""> with <CONNECT
\\d>.  You can post the script if there is still no joy.  Sometimes
looking at the ppp negotiation messages in /var/log/debug (with the
debug pppd option on) can help.

--

/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife. */

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I'm using a chat script to dial. This works OK. Dials, connects,
: authenticates, and I get the message 'Connected'.
: BUT, thats it. I cannot ping. Then, about a minute later, I'm
: disconnected.

:         LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
:         Connection terminated
:         Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean:
:         Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0

I think your scripting is almost, but not quite, there. Those messages,
like above, are usually result of server running a command prompt, not
pppd as it should, for you. Can you make your PPP connection without
scripting with win95? If so, then you must modify your dialing script to
end with

CONNECT ""

or something the like and set up /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file according to
advices given in 'man pppd'. In addition to these, you must use 'name'
option for pppd so it knows where from it can find an authentication data
for you.

Merry Xmas

Kalevi

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Kovajankatu 5,     33530 Tampere,  FINLAND.
****  http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~oh3fg/ ****  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC  ****

1. PPPD: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"

I have my Linux box configured to use ppp to dial into the network at work,
and it's fine.   However, I need to use a regular "consumer" ISP instead, so
I made new scripts and such.  DHCP wasn't required with the work dialin but
is required for the ISP.   The ISP's nameservers are listed in
/etc/resolv.conf too.

After dialing and connecting and parsing the login and password info,  I get
the following messages in the ppp.log:

Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Connection terminated.
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Exit.

What does all this mean?  I can connect to this particular ISP using a Win98
box and a Mac.  What's somewhat interesting is that I can't connect to them
using NT.

When I connect using minicom and enter the username and password, I get to
their old shell menu.  The ISP used to offer shell accounts but they've
stopped that recently and haven't gotten rid of the menus.

Is this an authentication problem?  The ISP doesn't know about OSes other
than Win3.1/95/98 and Mac, so I'm not sure what kind of authentication is
required.  I think they host on some kind of Unix, tho'.

Clues?

Andy Peters
Sr Electrical Engineer
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
apeters (at) noao.edu

"Creation Science" is an oxymoron.

2. XF86_W32 server problem

3. pppd: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

4. FS: Dedicated dialup Internet connection

5. LCP Timeout on starting pppd, Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

6. Newbee modem set-up question

7. pppd[662]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

8. looking for sysv sum(1) algorithm

9. Again: LCP error: Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean

10. "receive serial link is not 8-bit clean" error

11. HELP Needed: pppd2.2.0 : Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

12. Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

13. Receive serial link is not 8 bit clean ???