Accessing the Internet thru an ICS-enabled Win2K Pro box.

Accessing the Internet thru an ICS-enabled Win2K Pro box.

Post by Dave » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:35:48

Hello,

I have two computers at home connected peer-to-peer thru a crossover cable.
One has Win2K Pro installed on it and is connected to the internet thru a
56K dial-up connection that has ICS enabled on it.  The other is a machine
that dual-boots between Red Hat 7.2 and Win2K Pro.  I'd like to know if I
can access the internet when I'm using Red Hat 7.2 by using the Win2K Pro
box as the proxy.  Much thanks for any input.

--
David A. Frischknecht
http://fishnetonline.tripod.com

Post by Charles Frederick Good » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:08:57

>Hello,

>I have two computers at home connected peer-to-peer thru a crossover cable.
>One has Win2K Pro installed on it and is connected to the internet thru a
>56K dial-up connection that has ICS enabled on it.  The other is a machine
>that dual-boots between Red Hat 7.2 and Win2K Pro.  I'd like to know if I
>can access the internet when I'm using Red Hat 7.2 by using the Win2K Pro
>box as the proxy.  Much thanks for any input.

I just set up a similar thing (Win XP Pro vs. Win2k and DSL vs. dialup).
It worked fine.  I gave the Linux box (which in my case dual boots to
Win98SE) a static IP address and told it to use the IP address of the
network card in the XP machine as a gateway.

Not sure if there will be any difference because of the XP vs. Win2k
differences, but I think ICS should work fine in that situation.

Have you already got the Linux box talking to the Win2k box over the
network?  If not, set that up first, then get the internet connection set
up.

--
chuk

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:20:32

> Hello,

> I have two computers at home connected peer-to-peer thru a crossover cable.
> One has Win2K Pro installed on it and is connected to the internet thru a
> 56K dial-up connection that has ICS enabled on it.  The other is a machine
> that dual-boots between Red Hat 7.2 and Win2K Pro.  I'd like to know if I
> can access the internet when I'm using Red Hat 7.2 by using the Win2K Pro
> box as the proxy.  Much thanks for any input.

Exact recipe here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3da3cd61_1%40corp.newsgroups.com

             tony

Accessing the Internet thru an ICS-enabled Win2K Pro box.

Post by Dave » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:25:39

I tried going to that link, but IE "Cannot find server..."

--
David A. Frischknecht
http://fishnetonline.tripod.com

> > Hello,

> > I have two computers at home connected peer-to-peer thru a crossover
cable.
> > One has Win2K Pro installed on it and is connected to the internet thru
> > 56K dial-up connection that has ICS enabled on it.  The other is a
machine
> > that dual-boots between Red Hat 7.2 and Win2K Pro.  I'd like to know if
> > can access the internet when I'm using Red Hat 7.2 by using the Win2K
Pro
> > box as the proxy.  Much thanks for any input.

> Exact recipe here:

> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3da3cd61_1%40corp.newsgroups.com

>              tony

Accessing the Internet thru an ICS-enabled Win2K Pro box.

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 05:30:35

[...] <top-posting corrected>

Quote:> > Exact recipe here:
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3da3cd61_1%40corp.newsgroups.com

> I tried going to that link, but IE "Cannot find server..."

If you can't find google.com then you have some serious DNS problems that
will preclude successful ICS anyway, but here is the text from the URL above:

1) w2k lan interface is 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
    NO Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
    Components used:
        Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
        Client for Microsoft networks
    Power Management disabled (if applicable).

2) w2k DialUp modem interface
    Enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    Enable On Demand Dialing (if desired; this will allow the Linux traffic to
        cause the w2k to initiate dialing if needed)
    Components used:
        Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
        Client for Microsoft networks
    Power Management disabled (if applicable).

3) Linux eth0 is 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0
        Use your ISP's DNS nameservers
        Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

You'll probably have to reboot the w2k machine as usual.

Post by Dave » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:29:49

I'm able to go to www.google.com, but can't get to any Google groups.