upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Jeffrey J. Baco » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:00:23

a) should I upgrade from RH7.1 --> RH7.2 ? like, is thare any major reason to do so?

b) can I upgrade without losing all my current setup?

jeff

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Jason Kohl » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:04:41

>a) should I upgrade from RH7.1 --> RH7.2 ? like, is thare any major reason to do so?

The two big reasons, IMHO, are the switch from lilo to grub, which makes
upgrading the kernel much easier, and the switch from ext2 to the
journaling filesystem ext3.

Quote:>b) can I upgrade without losing all my current setup?

Yes, I've upgraded about 40 machines in the last couple of months, with no
problems at all.

--
Jason S Kohles                       A witty saying proves nothing.

http://www.jasonkohles.com/

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Jeffrey J. Baco » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:44:05

ok, can I just run the RH7.2 installer on top of my RH7.1 install?  Won't this
overwrite the conf files in (for example) etc?

>>a) should I upgrade from RH7.1 --> RH7.2 ? like, is thare any major reason to do so?

> The two big reasons, IMHO, are the switch from lilo to grub, which makes
> upgrading the kernel much easier, and the switch from ext2 to the
> journaling filesystem ext3.

>>b) can I upgrade without losing all my current setup?

> Yes, I've upgraded about 40 machines in the last couple of months, with no
> problems at all.

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Jason Kohl » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:46:47

>ok, can I just run the RH7.2 installer on top of my RH7.1 install?  Won't this
>overwrite the conf files in (for example) etc?

No, during the install you have the option to install a server, a workstation,
etc... the last option on that list is 'Upgrade', just choose that and it will
just upgrade the installed packages, instead of reinstalling.

--
Jason S Kohles                       A witty saying proves nothing.

http://www.jasonkohles.com/

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Jeffrey J. Baco » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:58:17

ok, do you know of a FAQ or something online that will explain exactly what it
does? ie. do I have to manually upgrade the filesystem to ext3? or manually
switch to grub?

>>ok, can I just run the RH7.2 installer on top of my RH7.1 install?  Won't this
>>overwrite the conf files in (for example) etc?

> No, during the install you have the option to install a server, a workstation,
> etc... the last option on that list is 'Upgrade', just choose that and it will
> just upgrade the installed packages, instead of reinstalling.

>>>The two big reasons, IMHO, are the switch from lilo to grub, which makes
>>>upgrading the kernel much easier, and the switch from ext2 to the
>>>journaling filesystem ext3.

>>>Yes, I've upgraded about 40 machines in the last couple of months, with no
>>>problems at all.

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Vincent F » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:59:30

*snip*

Quote:>The two big reasons, IMHO, are the switch from lilo to grub, which makes
>upgrading the kernel much easier, and the switch from ext2 to the
>journaling filesystem ext3.

Actually, if you run up2date on a rh7.1 box, you can get all the
newer kernel and support for ext3. I just used this method on a box
with some 60 gig drives. After it was all up2date I unmounted the
big partition, did tune2fs -j /dev/sdb1, changed /etc/fstab to
ext3 and everything worked great. Didn't mess with the /boot and
/ directories, left them as ext2 for now. They were small enough
that a fsck run isn't a big inconvenience for me anyhow.

Actually I *had* to do this since rh7.2 won't install onto the
3Ware mirror set, so I backed off to rh7.1 which works fine.

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Jason Kohl » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 11:21:28

>ok, do you know of a FAQ or something online that will explain exactly what it
>does? ie. do I have to manually upgrade the filesystem to ext3? or manually
>switch to grub?

During the upgrade it will ask if you want to switch to grub, and ask you
which partitions you want to convert to ext3.

--
Jason S Kohles                       A witty saying proves nothing.

http://www.jasonkohles.com/

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Edward C. Baile » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 05:05:36

Jeffrey> ok, do you know of a FAQ or something online that will explain
Jeffrey> exactly what it does? ie. do I have to manually upgrade the
Jeffrey> filesystem to ext3? or manually switch to grub?

Dude, there is documentation... :-)

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/install-guide...

                            Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Jeffrey J. Baco » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:45:55

Doh! =)

> Jeffrey> ok, do you know of a FAQ or something online that will explain
> Jeffrey> exactly what it does? ie. do I have to manually upgrade the
> Jeffrey> filesystem to ext3? or manually switch to grub?

> Dude, there is documentation... :-)

> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/install-guide...

>                             Ed

upgrade from RH7.1 --> 7.2?

Post by Timothy Murp » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:13:06

>Jeffrey> ok, do you know of a FAQ or something online that will explain
>Jeffrey> exactly what it does? ie. do I have to manually upgrade the
>Jeffrey> filesystem to ext3? or manually switch to grub?

If you upgrade you are asked if you want to change to ext3,
and also if you want to use grub.

I actually opted for ext3 and LILO,
but got a kernel panic (related to ext3)
and had to install 7.2 rather than upgrade it.
Did anyone else have that experience?

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

1. Init problems after RH7.1->7.2 upgrade

I upgraded my system from RedHat 7.1 to RedHat 7.2. After the upgrade, I
have strange startup behavior:

1. The machine no longer boots into Gnome. Instead, it now boots to the
console. I checked the /etc/inittab file, and the line "id:5:initdefault:"
is there, so it _should_ start X automatically, but doesn't. There's no
error message on the screen, and the /var/log/boot.log file doesn't show any
failures. Any ideas why it's stopped starting X when the machine starts up?

2. The name of my machine changed to dhcppc3 after upgrading to RH7.2.
Before, it was named bushwhack. I'm sure I gave it the name before, but the
only file I can find in /etc that contains "bushwhack" or "dhcppc3" is
/etc/hosts, which still has an entry for bushwhack, as it did before the
upgrade. Where did dhcppc3 come from, and how can I change it back?

-- Mike --

2. Triton problem with 2.2.X...

3. Upgrading from RH7.1 to RH 7.2 without upgrading Kernel

4. egcs or gcc-2.8.1 aout on 2.2.8

5. Upgrading, RH7.1 to 7.2

6. User Quota Problem!!!

7. RH7.0 to 7.2 Upgrade: iptables problem

8. IS THERE SOMETHING LIKE ******* TeX2roff ******** ??????

9. RH7.1 to 7.2 init problems after upgrade

10. RH7.0 -> RH7.1 upgrade kills networking

11. Upgrade from RH7.0 -> RH7.1 ... ?

12. Error upgrading RH7.0 -> RH7.1

13. Mandrake 7.1 ->7.2 upgrade w/o CD?