telnet/ftp behind Linksys router?

Post by V Bihar » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:30:14

My linksys router gets a static IP from my cable company and
assigns DHCP addresses to my Windows and Linux boxes.

I would like to be able to run a telnet/ftp/web/mail server on my
linux box running RH7.2 and need to connect to it from the outside
world. Will the Linksys router support this? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Eric P. McC » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 04:00:18

> I would like to be able to run a telnet/ftp/web/mail server on my
> linux box running RH7.2 and need to connect to it from the outside
> world. Will the Linksys router support this? What do I need to do?

Do _NOT_ run a telnet server accessible from the Internet!  If you
_must,_ use ssh.  Also, be sure to check your terms-of-use agreement
with your ISP, as many home services will not permit you to run
services (of any kind, for any reason) over your connection.

You may be able to do what you want, but a Linksys group is a more
appropriate forum for your question.  If you were using a Linux NAT
router, I could tell you how to do it, but...

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

Post by Art Ric » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:20:40

> My linksys router gets a static IP from my cable company and
> assigns DHCP addresses to my Windows and Linux boxes.

> I would like to be able to run a telnet/ftp/web/mail server on my
> linux box running RH7.2 and need to connect to it from the outside
> world. Will the Linksys router support this? What do I need to do?

> Thanks in advance.

Turn off DHCP and assign IP addresses to the router, Win box and Linux box.
You can use the 192.168.x.x range.   Then, in the Linksys router you can
direct telnet,ftp,http, etc to the IP address of the Linux box.
The Users Guide of the router explains this procedure and if you don't have
it, it is available for download from http://www.linksys.com/

--
Art Rice, Tandem Admin
Special Data Processing Corp

Post by Art Ric » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:22:57

>> I would like to be able to run a telnet/ftp/web/mail server on my
>> linux box running RH7.2 and need to connect to it from the outside
>> world. Will the Linksys router support this? What do I need to do?

> Do _NOT_ run a telnet server accessible from the Internet!  If you
> _must,_ use ssh.  Also, be sure to check your terms-of-use agreement
> with your ISP, as many home services will not permit you to run
> services (of any kind, for any reason) over your connection.

Agreed.  I forgot that part.  My ISP actually blocks all HTTP, telnet, and
ftp requests.  Funny they don't block ports 135 - 139.  They advise one to
get firewall software for that.

Quote:

Post by Marcus Laue » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:51:51

> My linksys router gets a static IP from my cable company and
> assigns DHCP addresses to my Windows and Linux boxes.

> I would like to be able to run a telnet/ftp/web/mail server on my
> linux box running RH7.2 and need to connect to it from the outside
> world. Will the Linksys router support this? What do I need to do?

> Thanks in advance.

        Yes, you will.  I have Apache running on my DSL line with a LinkSys
router and multiple computers.  The trick is just to forward the ports to the
correct computer behind the router, which you can do in the "Advanced"
options section of the configuration webpage.

        As someone else suggested, you'll need to assign IPs to your server
at least (forget DCHP, there's no reason to use it).  After you've done that,
go to "Forwarding" in the Advanced section and forward the appropriate
port(s) to the IP address you assigned to your server.

                                                            Marcus

1. telnet/ftp behind Linksys router?

My linksys router gets a static IP from my cable company and
assigns DHCP addresses to my Windows and Linux boxes.

I would like to be able to run a telnet/ftp/web/mail server on my
linux box running RH7.2 and need to connect to it from the outside
world. Will the Linksys router support this? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Installing AIX 4.3.2 on RS6000 J30

3. Configuration help: behind linksys router

4. Linux login problem

5. networking behind Linksys router

6. Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet Adapter - A no no ?

7. Problems w/ setting up a Linux DMZ Server behind a Linksys Router

8. Config Kernel with Modules

9. Q: SSH to Linux behind Linksys router

10. Linux behind a Linksys router

11. iptables ICMP behind Linksys router

12. Setting up email in Linux behind Linksys Router

13. Linux server behind Linksys router problem!!