UTP bus topology ethernet

Post by bul.. » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:23:20

I am thinking of wiring up my house with ethernet along the baseboards,
like the phones in the house. But UTP ethernet is a star topology and
running 4 cat 5s down a baseboard is nuts, and especially if I dont
know where exactly the computers are going to be.

I am thinking of using mini ethernet hubs
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-3097F3 and do some mods
to them to use power-over-ethernet, so they dont have a power cable
following them, but they are 10mbs, not 100mbs, I need the 100mbs speed
(currently I use 14mbs HomePlug (network over power outlets)). Are
there any commercial solutions to my problem, like real surface mount
jacks that have a built in switch? similar to 3com's intellijacks, or
something else? or does anyone have any ideas on how to wire it? I dont
want to use big hubs everywhere.

UTP bus topology ethernet

Post by Frank Sweetse » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:17:26

> I am thinking of wiring up my house with ethernet along the baseboards,
> like the phones in the house. But UTP ethernet is a star topology and
> running 4 cat 5s down a baseboard is nuts, and especially if I dont
> know where exactly the computers are going to be.

> I am thinking of using mini ethernet hubs
> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-3097F3 and do some mods
> to them to use power-over-ethernet, so they dont have a power cable
> following them, but they are 10mbs, not 100mbs, I need the 100mbs speed
> (currently I use 14mbs HomePlug (network over power outlets)). Are
> there any commercial solutions to my problem, like real surface mount
> jacks that have a built in switch? similar to 3com's intellijacks, or
> something else? or does anyone have any ideas on how to wire it? I dont
> want to use big hubs everywhere.

As someone who's involved in the care and feeding of networks on daily basis,
I'd say it's probably not worth it.  On the plus side, you do only end up
having to run one cable.  On the downside, you'll get lower reliability,
lower bandwidth, and probably higher cost.

Trust me.  Run the extra cables - it's worth it in the long run.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu
WPI Network Engineer
GPG fingerprint = 6174 1257 129E 0D21 D8D4  E8A3 8E39 29E3 E2E8 8CEC

1. UTP vs S/UTP-FTP cables

Hi, I have set up a local network in my home, and I have read that when
using UTP CAT5 cables, we have to use a Switch, while when using FTP
CAT5 cables, we can connect devices directly without a Switch.

However I have read cases of people who used UTP cables to connect
devices directly without a Switch. What is the proper thing for both
cases, direct connection and use of a Switch.

2. cc under Solaris 2.4 crash - mystified/help!

3. Fix asm-alpha/topology.h & asm-ppc64/topology.h

4. Tk/tcl8.0 and RedHat4.2

5. Win95 to Linux over Ethernet - UTP cable enough or hub req ?

6. IBM inks Unix pact with SCO

7. Routing, Ethernet Topology and Speed

8. KDE for IRIX - dcopserver problems

9. Problem of UTP Ethernet

10. Switching from BNC to UTP on SMC8432B ethernet card

11. Bus Mastering EtherNet?

12. ethernet bonding: are my twon NICs on the same or different busses

13. Card Bus/PC Card & 100Mbps Ethernet