Do ipchain a stateless firewall?

Post by Tom East » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Do ipchain a stateless firewall?

Yes -- ipchains allows you to define separate rules for TCP SYN packets
and non-SYN packets but that's about all of the state that enters into
ipchains rules...

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here are

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer
ICQ #60745924               \____________________________

Do ipchain a stateless firewall?

Post by Purnendu Sinh » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

When you use ip masq ( using ipchains, ipmasqadm ) the firewall becomes
stateful.

Purnendu

> >Do ipchain a stateless firewall?

> Yes -- ipchains allows you to define separate rules for TCP SYN packets
> and non-SYN packets but that's about all of the state that enters into
> ipchains rules...

> -Tom
> --
> Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here are

> Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer
> ICQ #60745924               \____________________________

1. Ipchains based Linux firewall and webserver on inside - can it be done?

The company I work for is looking for a cost effective solution to the
constant DDoS attacks that seem to be occuring on a frequent basis.

I have been charged with finding out if we can accomplish the following:

We want to set up a linux firewall with IPChains as the frontline defense
against these attacks to our web server.  The web server will reside behind
the linux firewall on an OC48 connection, but needs to have external web
traffic for our website to be accessible.

I am familiar with setting up the Linux box with IPChains and configuring
the script when I was doing freelance consulting, but I have only done this
for a standalone network not running a web server.

Can some one lend some assistance on this? Or am I asking too much in this
particular scenario?

TIA,

Cliff Etzel
Website Developer
PCS Internet

2. FS - 16" Sun Color Monitors - $59.99 - 17" Sun Color Monitors $69.99

3. IPChains firewall behind firewall problem

4. xdm, x

5. ipchains firewall, problems with looking up IPs

6. removing ^L^ and ^[[1m and ^[[m from a file

7. VPN from Win98 Client thru IPCHAINS+IPMASQ firewall

8. loader errors: dlclose, dlsym,dlopen

9. ipchains-firewall v1.6-Masquerade

10. Firewall logging and ipchains?

11. IPCHAINS Firewalling

12. ipchains and linux firewall is very slow

13. ipchain-firewall and DNS