ppp routing problem

Post by Ed Martin » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I switched service providers from netcom/shell/slirp/cslip to a
dynamic ppp account from a local provider.  I didn't have to switch
kernels or diald versions, everything worked ok.

The only problem is that now, the machine refuses to route packets from
the other machines on my net.

Is is possibly something to do with mtu or arp?

Clueless

ppp routing problem

Post by Ed Martin » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I switched service providers from netcom/shell/slirp/cslip to a
> dynamic ppp account from a local provider.  I didn't have to switch
> kernels or diald versions, everything worked ok.

> The only problem is that now, the machine refuses to route packets from
> the other machines on my net.

> Is is possibly something to do with mtu or arp?

> Clueless

Don't be an idiot!  Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that with slirp,
your router machine is not really on the internet, but it is using the
ip address of the machine that is running slirp, as are any machines
that are routing their packets through it.

When you transition to ppp, you, and the rest of your net are directly
connected to the internet, and you need one of two things:

- one actual ip address assigned to each machine
or
- use IP Masquerading on your router machine to make your whole net
  appear as one IP address to the rest of the world, a la slirp.

In the future, please post such drivel to comp.os.linux.imanidiot.

Ed

ppp routing problem

Post by Bryan Cha » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I switched service providers from netcom/shell/slirp/cslip to a
> dynamic ppp account from a local provider.  I didn't have to switch
> kernels or diald versions, everything worked ok.

> The only problem is that now, the machine refuses to route packets from
> the other machines on my net.

Slirp automatically routes the packets to/from your LAN from/to the Net
without you having to do anything extra. But now you are not using Slirp
any more. In this case, you will need to set up IP masquerading on your
Linux host, so that your LAN can be "masqueraded" as one host on the
dynamically assigned IP address. See

  http://www.wwonline.com/~achau/ipmasq/

              http://www-ug.eecg.toronto.edu/~chanb/