NIS and group access

Post by Ed Bree » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi
        I am setting up NIS under Debian 2.0 and
while I have user passwd and shadow passwords working,
groups isn't. Should the groups a user
is a member of be exported to a NIS client? Because under
my installation they arn't. The only group a user
on my nis client is a member is his or her user id
group. Any suggestions?

1. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

Hi

First let me describe what I would like to set up to clarify things:

Scenario:

I would like to set up 3 groups, lets call them A, B, C. Users from A should
have access files created by users in B or C. Users in B or C cannot access
files created by users in A. Also users in B or C should not have access to
each others files.

How would I set up Umask to handle this? I've tried to create a primary
group for all and secondary groups to reflect the permissions I'm after, but
to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon

2. "copy" system call

3. Can NIS+ users access files for > 1 groups?

4. Dummy Terminal

5. File Access - Does Owner Access Override Group Access?

6. Linux on <cheap> consumer hardware?

7. Groups gone on NIS+, not on NIS

8. Multiple Timers Per Process

9. Group Access control - 100 groups

10. Group without access to /etc/groups

11. NIS question (2): limit access from NIS-client pc

12. (nis+ lookup): Error in accessing NIS+ cold start file

13. rpc.nispasswdd[394]: rpc.nispasswd Error in accessing NIS+ cold start file... is NIS+ installed?.