linux network question???

Post by John Jense » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Instead of using 2 nics on the linux box you could get 1 nic and a hub;
might be a little easier to configure the ip routing. I don't have any data
for you on the speed loss; I don't think it would be very much of you have
decent RAM and aren't running X on the 486...

linux network question???

Post by UWHO » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a pent 1 and a pent II i want to use to surf the net, i just got a cable
modem that i can only use on one computer, unless i get another NIC and run
winproxy or something like that. i have win 95/98 on the pent 1 and win 98/nt
on the pent II.  Is this the way to go. OR i have a 486 that i was thinking of
setting up  as a Linux box, and running the modem into, and useing web
masquerading. can i do this , do i need 2 nics in the 486, is there a speed
loss using the old 486 should i use the faster pentium, what nic should i go
with, i have 10/100's in the pent and pent 2. does the nic make any diffrence?
my isp mediaone uses dhcp(or something like that)dynamic) to give me my IP is
that going to cause problems? what are linuxs minimum requirements,(for this) i
think I have 8 mg in the 486?

Thanks alot
JC

linux network question???

Post by Rick Onania » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

This is an extremely common setup. The 486 is more than sufficient to
do this. I run a 386dx/40 with 8mb RAM and no hard drive for this
purpose, and routinely get 200k/s, burst speeds up to 2mb... You would
be best off with two NICs in the linux box. One can be done, but makes
you very susceptible to someone using your IP address to hack with, and
you get blamed. I reccommend two....it works for me. And, they're cheap.

You should check out http://www.linuxrouter.org to see, that may do the
trick for you.

--
  rick - a guy in search of raw (ISO) cd images of SuSE and Slackware
---------------

1. WinNT question + Linux networking question

Hello everybody!
This first question isn't really a linux networking question but I thought
people working with linux prob know a lot about networking so anyways:

Ive read things on samba and i understand (hopefully) that it is a way to
let different computers share files and printers, particularly so for M$ Win
computers. But on my school computers, everyone has a different login name
and password for WinNT, and they log in from any computer connected to the
network and have their own private U: drive, and can use network resources,
whats that sort of networking called? is it possible to do that with linux?

My second question is what ill need to build a linux gateway + firewall.
Because I might be getting broadband internet (is ADSL the same thing?), i
want to setup a Linux gateway + firewall computer so my (future) home
network can all share that internet and also hide behind the firewall. Im
doing reading on how to get linux to do that, i just want to know for sure
what i need in terms of hardware. I think I'll need:
a computer with linux running (would a P200MMX do?), a NIC for that comp, a
network hub that connects the linux comp with the rest of the comps in my
house (theyr Win9x and WinXP and are currently not networked at all) and a
broadband modem for the linux comp. Would that work?

btw If you know any sites that has tutorials on these things please let me
know the URL, thanks in advance!

2. Q: Routing with two network cards

3. Simple Linux-2-Linux network questions...

4. Hi, I'm having trouble printing landscape to a HP9000 printer on solaris, can anyone please HELP!!!

5. Linux networking question : Setting up as a server?

6. Monthly SunFlash June 1995

7. Win98->Linux Networking questions

8. v440 memory , will it fit a PC ?

9. Mac <--> Linux Networking questions