in.rshd not always starting

Post by Bryan Stant » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I often start scripts on my Linux box from Windows NT with the "rsh"
command.  80% of the time, the scripts start.  But sometimes "rsh"
times out on the NT box.  It tried to take in.rshd out of the
inetd.conf and run it as a daemon, but I can't get it to start as a
daemon.  Can I run it as a daemon so that it will always be ready?
Anyone have any other ideas about how to make in.rshd more reliable.
It is possible it is a problem on the NT side   :-o

P.S.   The syslog only says "in.rshd [21944]: connect from hostname"
It doesn't have any errors about in.rshd.

Thanks, Bryan

1. tcp_wrapper rejeting rcp/rshd ALWAYS: Why

Hey all,
Strange problem here. I use tcp_wrapper (ver 7.6)  to controll access to
inetd controlled daemons. /etc/hosts.allow permits
rlogind,rhsd,telnetd,fptd from specified networks. On testing ALL
externally allowd hosts can access the box EXCEPT by using rcp. Rshd
contolls rcp, so I removed wrapper control of rhsd and viola rcp works.
(putting it back gives error message .. socket already in use or some
such thing)

Any ideas here ????

TIA
Devon Caines

2. Caps+Lock won't work. Del acts like Backspace!

3. login shell not always started with - (dash)

4. 2.5.70-bk+ broken networking

5. rpc server does not always start

6. Input Output error .X0-lock

7. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

8. Concurrent disk access on RS6k -250

9. cannot start rlogind and rshd

10. RSHD starts but stalls: WHY?

11. is rshd started automatically under RH6.1?

12. I would like to start rshd - how?

13. How to setup RSHD and start it for use with MPICH