How to implement dhcp client and pppoe client on the same interface at same time?

How to implement dhcp client and pppoe client on the same interface at same time?

Post by xpau.. » Thu, 14 May 2009 11:27:09

I have a network card named eth0,a pppoe connection has been build
over it named ppp0(pppd eth0).At the same time,I also want a dhcp
connection on eth0,but it failed when i use udhcpc -i eth0 to get IP
address.From wireshark,I noted that The dhcp REQUEST message had been
send via ppp0 not eth0.

How to implement dhcp client and pppoe client on the same interface at same time?

Post by Greg Russel » Thu, 14 May 2009 14:10:52

Quote:> I have a network card named eth0,a pppoe connection has been build
> over it named ppp0(pppd eth0).At the same time,I also want a dhcp
> connection on eth0,but it failed when i use udhcpc -i eth0 to get IP
> address.From wireshark,I noted that The dhcp REQUEST message had been
> send via ppp0 not eth0.

From where is the DHCP service originating? A local router? The eth0 host
machine, or ....?

Post by xpau.. » Thu, 14 May 2009 15:50:55

> > I have a network card named eth0,a pppoe connection has been build
> > over it named ppp0(pppd eth0).At the same time,I also want a dhcp
> > connection on eth0,but it failed when i use udhcpc -i eth0 to get IP
> > address.From wireshark,I noted that The dhcp REQUEST message had been
> > send via ppp0 not eth0.

> From where is the DHCP service originating? A local router? The eth0 host
> machine, or ....?

DHCP service originating from the eth0 host machine,

1.eth0 send DISCOVER via eth0
2.eth0 get OFFER via eth0
3.eth0 send REQUEST via ppp0(it is the problem!)

How to implement dhcp client and pppoe client on the same interface at same time?

Post by Antoine EMERI » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 02:13:49

Hi,

Quote:

> I have a network card named eth0,a pppoe connection has been build
> over it named ppp0(pppd eth0).At the same time,I also want a dhcp
> connection on eth0,but it failed when i use udhcpc -i eth0 to get IP
> address.From wireshark,I noted that The dhcp REQUEST message had been
> send via ppp0 not eth0.

You could try to add the 'dhcp broadcast address' to the eth0 interface :

        255.255.255.255

The dhcp request are send to this address which is map to the ethernet
broadcast address.

You may also modify the local route table, using the 'ip route' tools, to
change the 255.255.255.255 destination.

Regards