help setting up one-way cable service Mandrake 8.1 charter.net

help setting up one-way cable service Mandrake 8.1 charter.net

Post by Doug Sidden » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 11:33:46

I am a _real_ new Linux user.  I left microsoft's W95b for Mandrake 8.1.

I've managed to get the dial-up working but can't figure out how to get
back onto my one-way cable service.  Charter.net (Charter Pipeline) is
the ISP.  They won't support Linux unless it's a commercial account.

The modem is a COM21 and a Link Sys NIC. The uplink is a 56K external.
The only difference in what is sent to Charter is the user id.  Cable
service does not have a "d" suffix.  If you need any other information
about my system just email directly to me.

I need step by step instructions.

If you can help directly or can refer me to a URL for said help I'd be
much appreciated.

Thank you, Doug Siddens

1. Help setting up Proxy server (Squid) on Mandrake 8.1

Hello,

I have a Mandrake 8.1 box that I want to use as a proxy server so my
company can have access on all desktops via this server.  I have 2
NICs installed and working (from the server I can see both the internet
and the internal network).  I used the Internet Connection Sharing to allow
full acces at first, but the boss wants only 5-6 sites accessable.
eth0 - 10.1.1.2
eth1 - ww.xx.yy.zz

I installed squid and configured my acl and http_access lines and told
it to listen on 10.1.1.2:3128 (http_port) with tcp_outgoing_address set
to ww.xx.yy.zz.

I then configured a win95 local box to point to 10.1.1.2:3128 in the proxy
settings on the browser.

No joy.

Checking cache.log in /var/log/squid, I see that the clients are not even
hitting squid, although they can see (ping) 10.1.1.2.  The only messsages
in the log are from when I restared squid.  (I set debugging options to max
to try to see what was going on).

Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

TIA,
Patrick

2. wha happend to sendmail?

3. Mandrake 8.1, cable modem & DHCP

4. mkfs - "Device not configured..."

5. Charter cable internet service...

6. Problem with SLS 1.03 on ESDI

7. PATH setting in Mandrake 8.1

8. X11 flow behind firewall

9. Setting up a Wyse terminal over a serial port on linux mandrake 8.1

10. Mandrake 8.1 X-Window won't set up at install

11. Please help, i need major help, i cant boot into mandrake linux 8.1

12. Mandrake 8.1 help please....

13. HELP: Installing Mandrake Linux (8.1)