Linux dummy can't configure dummy interface

Linux dummy can't configure dummy interface

Post by Chris Morg » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

  I am trying to set up INN for my machine, and one of the first steps
is to configure the dummy device.

  I rebuilt my kernel with the dummy device included, installed it
with lilo as normal and rebooted, but when I try it it responds like
this :

# ifconfig dummy
dummy: unknown interface.
#

  My system is a P75 running Slackware96 (kernel 2.0). It doesn't have
an Ethernet card and the only networking is via the modem (I connect
using a dip script) or to localhost for local logins.

  I have checked the NET-2-HOWTO file and the "Linux Network Administrator's
Guide" and "Running Linux" books from O'Reilly but they don't seem to
have heard of this problem.

  Can anyone help?

Chris

Linux dummy can't configure dummy interface

Post by Floyd Davids » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[posted and emailed]

>  I rebuilt my kernel with the dummy device included, installed it
>with lilo as normal and rebooted, but when I try it it responds like
>this :

># ifconfig dummy
>dummy: unknown interface.
>#

Try "ifconfig dummy0" and see what you get from that.  If it still
says there is no such interface, then you don't really have it
in the kernel (is it a module that needs to be loaded???).

If you have the dummy device available, it needs an IP address and
a route.  Use one of the invalid IP addresses, like 192.168.x.x or
10.x.x.x and make an entry in your /etc/hosts file:

  192.168.1.1  dummy.host.com

Then use ifconfig to enable it:

  ifconfig dummy0 dummy.host.com

Check to see what it did:

  ifconfig dummy0

Then add a route for it:

  route add -host dummy.host.com

Check to see that:

  route

Then test it:

  ping dummy.host.com

Floyd
--

1. Urgently needed: how to configure a Linux dummy interface

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.networking ]
[ Author was Russell Taylor ]
[ Posted on 28 Jun 1995 12:04:13 -0700 ]

I'm trying to set up a Linux dummy interface as a virtual host by assigning
it an ip number.  I'm stuck at the routing portion -- how do I set up
router (either on the host, the router, or both) to make the new IP
number reachable?   Fast response needed, as deadline pressure is
mounting :)

If you've ever configured a dummy interface for use as a virtual host,
PLEASE reply ASAP.  Thank you.

--
Russ Taylor
Systems Administrator and Consultant, PacInfo
Russ Taylor
Systems Administrator and Consultant, PacInfo
"It Stinks." -- Jay Sherman, noted Critic

2. problem with NCR53C700 SCSI controller

3. How do i test if FreeBSD can see my modem?

4. Help: 'dummy' ethernet interface....how do I set up

5. Sparc64 kernel builds breaking...why?

6. 'Dummy interfaces' on SunOS

7. Control-A's in file to sed...

8. 'dummy' network interface

9. 'dummy' interface

10. cosource.com - Linux Networking for Dummies - Find out how to configure net services!

11. GPL'd "Linux networking for Dummies" - Covers all networking aspects of linux

12. 2 dummy interfaces running at the same time