Verizon in New York City: ADSL +Linux

Post by lm74 » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:36:10

I read in the DSL HOWTO that there are several flavors of ADSL.
Naturally the docs in the install kit from Verizon don't give any
specifics, but does anyone here know if we are talking PPPoE, PPPoA
or bridged DHCP?

Any sucess stories?

Post by lm74 » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:43:37

I read in the DSL HOWTO that there are several flavors of ADSL.
Naturally the docs in the install kit from Verizon don't give any
specifics, but does anyone here know if we are talking PPPoE, PPPoA
or bridged DHCP?

Any sucess stories?

PS: Sorry for the multiple postings, my newsreader segfaulted and generally
bombed after I tried to post

/a

Verizon in New York City: ADSL +Linux

Post by Hal Burgi » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 02:03:06

Quote:>I read in the DSL HOWTO that there are several flavors of ADSL.
>Naturally the docs in the install kit from Verizon don't give any
>specifics, but does anyone here know if we are talking PPPoE, PPPoA or
>bridged DHCP?

Now Verizon = PPPoE

--
Hal B

--

Verizon in New York City: ADSL +Linux

Post by Gerardo Gregor » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 02:48:45

I used to work for verizon so here is the scoop.....

If you received your service before february (i believe) then you would have
a static address, unless this has changed....now verizon uses PPPoE and
assigns IP by dhcp.....
I know that you need your modem setings to have the correct VPI VCI....30-8
if my memory serves me right.....you can try to use freePPPoE. RASPPPoE or
roaring pinguin to actually connect......
one thing is that Verizon will be able to tell what OS your are using if you
ever have service problems (wich will not surprise me), and tech support
will probably will not help you unless you reach one of the old guard tech
(above tier 2) that know how to play a little with linux.

Verizon in New York City: ADSL +Linux

Post by Hal Burgi » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 05:22:06

Quote:>I used to work for verizon so here is the scoop.....

>If you received your service before february (i believe) then you would have
>a static address, unless this has changed....now verizon uses PPPoE and
>assigns IP by dhcp.....

One or the other, but not both. Mutually exclusive in this case. I
believe all the former Baby Bells have been using PPPoE for a good year
or so. Trying to use DHCP and PPPoE together on the same interface is
likely to cause problems.

Quote:>I know that you need your modem setings to have the correct VPI
>VCI....30-8 if my memory serves me right.....you can try to use
>freePPPoE. RASPPPoE or roaring pinguin to actually connect......

RASPPPoE is win32. He needs either rp-pppoe (Roaring Penguin) or pppoed
(freshmeat.net for either), or maybe try the native PPPoE in 2.4.

Quote:>one thing is that Verizon will be able to tell what OS your are using if you
>ever have service problems (wich will not surprise me), and tech support

Just curious how they know this, unless you tell them???? If they are
like BellSouth here, there is no way for them to know this unless you
tell them. THEN -- they put it into your account info, and maybe use
this as a copout later on. What they call a tech support 'boundary'.

Quote:>will probably will not help you unless you reach one of the old guard

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:49:39

Quote:> I read in the DSL HOWTO that there are several flavors of ADSL.
> Naturally the docs in the install kit from Verizon don't give any
> specifics, but does anyone here know if we are talking PPPoE, PPPoA
> or bridged DHCP?

I'm not sure what the context is, but to me, "flavors of ADSL" suggests
DMT vs. CAP. These are two forms of modulation that both qualify as
ADSL, and they're hardware issues, not software. Today, few or no new
installations use CAP. Bell Atlantic used to use CAP in some areas, but
AFAIK they've been using DMT for all new installations for at least a
year, and certainly since becoming Verizon.

As to the software protocols, my understanding is that Bell Atlantic
has been using PPPoE for all new installations for over a year. I don't
know what the former GTE territories used, but if I had to guess I'd
guess that they're now using PPPoE even if they used something else
before.

Quote:> Any sucess stories?

I used Bell Atlantic DSL for about half a year over a year ago. At that
time, they were still using static IP addresses, and weren't as
allergic to Linux as they now are. Service started out OK but rapidly
deteriorated, with long outages, hold times for tech support that
sometimes seemed as long as the outages, and increasing hostility
towards Linux. (I once had to reboot my system and reconfigure Windows
before the tech would accept that I couldn't ping -- the result being
that the Windows system became unstable when I tried to restore it to
its prior working state.) I ditched Bell Atlantic before they became
Verizon, and it's possible they've improved in that time.

As to basic software compatibility, if Verizon is using PPPoE in your
area, you'll need a PPPoE client, like Roaring Penguin. (I've got
pointers to several PPPoE clients for Linux at
http://www.rodsbooks.com/network/network-dsl.html.) AFAIK, Roaring
Penguin works fine with Verizon's service, and most others.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Verizon in New York City: ADSL +Linux

Post by Gerardo Gregor » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:43:46

Very correct there with your insight that I forgot to mention, CAP
coustomers where the static ones, and also had different VPI, VCI settings
(DMT wavelengths are shorter from peak to peak), and all this played a big
part in to where your card is at the DSLAM (also service speeds decides what
slot you are in)...anyway your VPI, VCI settings should match to the VPI,
VCI of your card....this is only important if not using a "white westell",
since white westell's are actually bridges and not modems.....
The reply from HAL BURGIS does have some wrong info in it, and I love for
someone to discuss Verizon's set-up as I said i worked for them and ol' boy
doesnt even have a clue how all that is set-up.....but it is PPPoE using
DHCP, do not get this two confused as one has nothing to do with the other,
and also I have seen static DMT coustomers also (usually using speedstream
modems)...for anyone that knows anythingg about networking, can tell
you...PPPoE is the encapsulation used....(such as HDLC, PPP, x.25, these are
all encapsulations) it stands for Poin-To-Point over Ethernet,,,,now the
dhcp is just how your layer 3 address is assigned.....by the way I believe
that the software used by verizon (it's been a while so i cant remmember the
name) defaults to 1.1.1.1 while establishing the connection.....
Also they can tell your OS by many ways, I remmember that one particular CX
had a system running freeBSD and we found out by his choice in hostname (it
was too long for a windows box)...I can get you in touch with a good tech in
verizon (since I still have contacts there if you need any help setting this
up...e-mail me)

P.S.  By the way CAP coustomers used a blue westell modem, also to further
implore on PPPoE and DHCP...you will usee your layer 2 address to actually
get that layer 3 one just as if you where inside a LAN (remember ethernet is
just layer 2, no layer 3 involved)

Gerardo Gregory
Network Engineer
Affinitas Inc.