Need help to setup PPP callback on both ends!

Need help to setup PPP callback on both ends!

Post by a.. » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello ppp wizards,

I'm a complete novice with PPP, and am perhaps getting in over my
head, so I was hoping that somone might be able to help me out.  First of
all, where is the best place to find documentation?  I've looked at the
README.linux file that comes with ppp-2.2.0f, and the Linux PPP HOWTO
(as well as a handfull of others); though they agree in several places,
they also disagree in many others, ugh.

I  have a Linux server at work, plus a linux box at home.  I am able to
call in from home, and estabilsh a PPP link using dynamic IP addressing.
I do not use any of the precanned scripts, as they look complicated and I
read in a document somewhere that they are best avoided (probably not good
advice, but ....).  My setup is very simple (slack 3.1, ppp rebuilt from
sources, getty-ps).  On my home box, I use a simple ppp-on script:
pppd /dev/cua0 38400 crtscts modem defaultroute noipdefault connect 'chat -vf
        /etc/ppp/chat-script'
with an options file that includes "lock" and "asyncmap 0 ".  The chat script
logs me in and runs pppd on the remote machine:
"" atdt 24891
login: andy
Password: "\qxxx"
"% " "\qexec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach"

On the server, I have and options file that looks like:
asyncmap 0
netmask 255.255.252.0
proxyarp
lock
crtscts
modem
Also I have a options.ttyS3 file (modem port specific file for dynamic IP)
anchtj:anchty

Anyway, this all seems to work pretty well.  What I'd like to do is make the
necessary changes to setup the communication so that the server calls me back
(and my employer pays the phone bill....).  I've tried some simple stuff to
go in reverse, but can't get it to work.  Has anyone done this successfully?
There is a script called "callback" included with ppp-2.2.0f, but I can't see
how to get it to work, and the documentation is scanty to put it nicely.

Thanks a million for any help you might be able to provide.

-Andy Cook

1. Linux PPP + NT RAS + Callback ? Help needed.

Is it possible to connect to Windows NT RAS server with callback and
how to do this.

I use account on NT RAS server which has no callback and it works
perfectly.

I have another account which would have callback on the same RAS
server but I don't know how to configure Linux to use it.

I use normal pppd which came on Debian package.
If I use same kind of settings, Linux calls to my server, authenticies
the user and the server calls to my machine. But now what. pppd isn't
answering of course, and I can't create a chat script which calls to
my server, waits for RING and answers with ATA since the ring never
comes unless the PAP protocol authenticies me after chat has exited.

Help.

+ GSM/SMS: +358505672428, FAX: +358950735230

2. Can I mount a Netware drive on my Linux system?

3. howto setup callback ppp

4. 0.99.10--modem disappears

5. Q: PPP callback client setup

6. Spurious characters on Dell keyboard

7. How to setup a PPP Callback Server under Linux?

8. in.named

9. how to setup callback in ppp server ?

10. !!!NEED HELP: x86 PPP setup for Solaris 7!!!

11. HELP WITH PPP USING CALLBACK

12. ppp setup help needed

13. Need Help with PPP and ISP setup