Pls help: Ethernet and Ethernet card probs

Pls help: Ethernet and Ethernet card probs

Post by Matthew W Mille » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

First, if these questions have been asked already, i apologize in advance.

i am running RH 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36 on a large ethernet (static IP)
with an Ne 2000 card.

My problems are these:

at boot up, the card is not detected.
(on the rh faq, it said to try insmod and set the irq and io with insmod.
after this, the card is detected, however, all those settings are lost
after a reboot)

after logging in, i cannot make any internet connections.
(aside from the ethernet detection, the problem seems to be connected with
my routing tables and settings associated with the ethernet card)

the routing table (/sbin/route) only shows my loopback, but not my
gateway; how do i set up my tables so eth0 knows to use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as
its main router?

and how do i make these fixes permanent so i don't have to do them each
time i reboot or boot up. (i run three operating systems on this machine;
hence the reboot).

i know there were a lot of questions there, but i will be extremely
appreciative of any help that i may get

Thanx in advance
~ Miller

Pls help: Ethernet and Ethernet card probs

Post by Stephen Kwa » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello all,

> First, if these questions have been asked already, i apologize in advance.

> i am running RH 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36 on a large ethernet (static IP)
> with an Ne 2000 card.

> My problems are these:

> at boot up, the card is not detected.
> (on the rh faq, it said to try insmod and set the irq and io with insmod.
> after this, the card is detected, however, all those settings are lost
> after a reboot)

First thing first, is your ethernet card PNP?  If so, go to the
vendor's web site an see if they have an utility that'll allow you to
permanently set the IRQ and I/O of the ethernet card.  That'll fix your
detection problem.

If that's not the problem, are you using LILO?  If so, I believe you
can pass the IRQ and I/O parameters of the ethernet card with a line in
/etc/lilo.config.  Try reading the LILO HOWTO.

Quote:> after logging in, i cannot make any internet connections.
> (aside from the ethernet detection, the problem seems to be connected with
> my routing tables and settings associated with the ethernet card)

> the routing table (/sbin/route) only shows my loopback, but not my
> gateway; how do i set up my tables so eth0 knows to use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as
> its main router?

> and how do i make these fixes permanent so i don't have to do them each
> time i reboot or boot up. (i run three operating systems on this machine;
> hence the reboot).

You need to set the gateway and DNS server.  DNS info should be entered
in /etc/resolve.conf.  As to setting the gateway, I don't know where
that is located with RH 5.2, but with Slackware, it's set in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

Quote:

> i know there were a lot of questions there, but i will be extremely
> appreciative of any help that i may get

> Thanx in advance
> ~ Miller

Note that I use Slackware so location of these files may not be the
same as RH.

I think your problem is the PnP ethernet card, see if you can set the
IRQ and I/O permanently and RH should be able to autodetect and most of
your problems would simply go away :-).

Good luck,

1. Pls help: telnet and 3com590 ethernet card

I have successfully loaded the driver for a 3com 3c590 ethernet card on
a PC running Linux 1.2.13.  I had to rebuild the kernel and everything
but it is recognizing the driver at startup.

The problem:

I issued the commands:

ifconfig eth0 130.85.145.53 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 130.85.145.0

and

route add gw 130.85.145.1

and added 3 nameservers.

I then tried to telnet/ping/ftp/rlogin to remote hosts and they all just
hung (eventually timing out).  I can telnet/etc. to localhost, but
nothing remote.  I also cannot telnet in to the PC from remote hosts.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening???

Thanks,
Susan Burgee

2. Samba, network neighborhood browsing & arp proxy

3. Pls help: Installing multiple ethernet cards

4. Netware Mount - no file truncation on mounted volume.

5. PCMCIA ethernet card - almost there - pls help! :)

6. repartitioning worries

7. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

8. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

9. 3COM ethernet card and NE2000 ethernet card

10. Linux doesn't find ethernet card (3c503), pl. advise

11. Using Ethernet PCI Card instead of built in ethernet

12. AIX v4.2 10/100 Ethernet Driver or 10 Ethernet card

13. Forcing Ethernet Card to use Ethernet