Starting Apache on boot - question

Post by Colten Noake » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've just installed Apache 1.3.6 on a machine running Mandrake 6 (kernel
2.2.9).  I had Apache running on it before, but due to some improper
shutdowns of the machine it developed errors.  Rather than tool with the
old configuration files to see what was wrong I just installed the new
version.  My problem is this:

When I reboot the machine it is still looking in the old place for
Apache (something like /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is what the error
message says).  I can start Apache from the command line once the
machine is up (/var/apache/apache_1.3.6/bin/apachectl start) and
restarting inetd.  As a relative newbie to configuring httpd, how do I
get it to start Apache on boot rather than looking to
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf?  I've looked around Apache's site and on the
web but I can't seem to find the answer to this seemingly simple
question.

Thanks!

Colten

--
Colten Noakes

Genesis Studios
A Full Service Web Design Agency

http://www.genesis-studios.cc
--

Starting Apache on boot - question

Post by Jo » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:50:23 -0500, Colten Noakes

> I've just installed Apache 1.3.6 on a machine running Mandrake 6 (kernel
> 2.2.9).  I had Apache running on it before, but due to some improper
> shutdowns of the machine it developed errors.  Rather than tool with the
> old configuration files to see what was wrong I just installed the new
> version.  My problem is this:

> When I reboot the machine it is still looking in the old place for
> Apache (something like /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is what the error
> message says).  I can start Apache from the command line once the
> machine is up (/var/apache/apache_1.3.6/bin/apachectl start) and
> restarting inetd.  As a relative newbie to configuring httpd, how do I
> get it to start Apache on boot rather than looking to
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf?  I've looked around Apache's site and on the
> web but I can't seem to find the answer to this seemingly simple
> question.

Your machine is firing up Apache from it's rc scripts.  Look in
/etc/rc.d (on Slackware... not sure what the directory is called
in Mandrake) at your startup scripts.  Type 'grep http *' to see
which ones refer to Apache and edit them accordingly.  On my
system (by default) it's in rc.httpd.

That should cover it...

Jon

1. start apache at boot time question

My linux is RH6.1 . For some reasons, I install the apache in tar format. It
works fine.
But the web server don't start up at boot time now. I need to start it up
manually.

How can I set to make it start up at boot  ? I've tried to put a script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d to start web server. But don't work.

How can I do ?

Eddy

2. How to make X-windows work with 3MB V-RAM (S3) ??

3. solaris9 apache don't start at boot

4. Firewalls etc. Are they for real ?

5. Starting Apache on boot

6. Aironet Arlan radio ethernet?

7. start apache at boot time

8. Questions getting bind 8.2.2 to compile on AIX 4.3.3

9. Starting Apache on Boot

10. Starting Apache 2.0.39 at Boot-Time with Redhat 7.3

11. How to auto-start apache when AIX boot.

12. starting Apache from boot on AIX using RC.LOCAL

13. Apache doesn't start at boot time