Need a little help on IP Accounting

Post by Bob Dilwort » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi All:

I recently re-built my 1.2.1 Slackware kernel to enable an ethernet
board.  At the same time I switched on IP accounting.  Trouble is, now I
can't seem to find exactly where the IP accounting info goes.  I noticed
that there is tcpip info in the wtmp file.  Maybe this is it?  There also
seems to be no documentation regarding IP accounting, save for how to
switch it on.

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be eternally
grateful.

BTW:  Does Linux have the equvalent of accton to enable regular user
process accounting.  Again, there seems to be no docs on process
accounting either.

Thanks again!

Bob Dilworth

Post by Richard Huvenee » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Hi All:

>I recently re-built my 1.2.1 Slackware kernel to enable an ethernet
>board.  At the same time I switched on IP accounting.  Trouble is, now I
>can't seem to find exactly where the IP accounting info goes.  I noticed
>that there is tcpip info in the wtmp file.  Maybe this is it?  There also
>seems to be no documentation regarding IP accounting, save for how to
>switch it on.

>Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be eternally
>grateful.

Look at the manual page of the "ipfw" utility. It handles IP accounting too.
You should have a look at the files in /proc/net too...

Quote:>BTW:  Does Linux have the equvalent of accton to enable regular user
>process accounting.  Again, there seems to be no docs on process
>accounting either.

Sorry. Dunno.

Richard.

1. I NEED A LOCAL IP CHECKER TO SEND THE IP TO AN OUTSIDE ACCOUNT!

Ok, here is my problem... I am running a server on Corel Linux v2.  The
problem is it is on a static IP.  The unfortunate part is my IP goes down
frequently (Damn Bell Canada) And My server, along with the IP, goes down
(How can I connect to it if I dunno the IP).  What I am looking for is a way
for the system to constatly check the IP and see if it changes, if it does,
it e-mails my external account (Hotmail, yahoo, etc).  I have heard there is
a way to do this throguh a CRON... Can some one help me? I am a newbie to
Linux (less than a year) And I have no clue how to go about it.  Please,
someone help me.  Thanks

Kronos3.

http://Kronos3.com

2. Ati Radeon VE

3. Need help with IPA (IP accounting)

4. Docs for Linux audio?

5. need help with subnetting/routing/IP accounting

6. X weirdness under 3.1.5

7. Help needed - IP accounting

8. cross kernel compliling ??

9. Finding PIDs - Solaris newbie needs a little help

10. Need a little help please

11. X Kicks 95's ass, but I need a little help

12. IP Accounting, what do I need?

13. Xtasy GeForce4 MX 440 video card need a little help