Token Ring support... wish list!

Token Ring support... wish list!

Post by Dave Bro » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00



I have a home Token Ring network.  Not all hosts are up all the time; in fact, when
I'm away, everything's shut down.  Problem number one is that when I start up my
first machine on the TR, Linux TR driver doesn't seem to have a default ring speed
setting.  So it just probes and probes and probes...  I have to start up an OS/2 or
DOS machine for the ring speed to be set, so the Linux can finish booting.

Problem 2 is that I have several IBM 16/4 Token II cards that I would love to add to
the network, but Linux doesn't support them.  Any chance that these would be added to
the list of supported cards?  It seems a shame not to have such support, as these
cards are available cheaply on the resale market.  

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

 
 
 

Token Ring support... wish list!

Post by Paul P. Nort » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00



>I have a home Token Ring network.  Not all hosts are up all the time; in fact, when
>I'm away, everything's shut down.  Problem number one is that when I start up my
>first machine on the TR, Linux TR driver doesn't seem to have a default ring speed
>setting.  So it just probes and probes and probes...  I have to start up an OS/2 or
>DOS machine for the ring speed to be set, so the Linux can finish booting.

I also have a home token-ring network and although I've never had this problem I
have heard reports of this. On my adapters I think dip switch 12 sets the adapter
speed. Which adapter do you have?

Quote:>Problem 2 is that I have several IBM 16/4 Token II cards that I would love to add to
>the network, but Linux doesn't support them.  Any chance that these would be added to
>the list of supported cards?  It seems a shame not to have such support, as these
>cards are available cheaply on the resale market.  

If you're talking about the Adapter II, I believe it is supported. In fact _any_
IBM ISA shared-ram token-ring adapter should work. I've even run linux with the old
IBM 4Mbps adapters.

Quote:>--
>Dave Brown   Austin, TX

Paul
--
Paul P. Norton                  


 
 
 

Token Ring support... wish list!

Post by Dave Bro » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>I also have a home token-ring network and although I've never had this problem I
>have heard reports of this. On my adapters I think dip switch 12 sets the adapter
>speed. Which adapter do you have?

>If you're talking about the Adapter II, I believe it is supported. In fact _any_
>IBM ISA shared-ram token-ring adapter should work. I've even run linux with the old
>IBM 4Mbps adapters.

>Paul

I'm jealous... my Adapter II doesn't work for my Linux (2.0.26).  I'll email my
details, and perhaps you can show me how.  

Doesn't sound like you have an Auto 16/4 card though, if you're talking switches,
but mine won't attach unless ring is already running, thus speed having been set.

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

 
 
 

Token Ring support... wish list!

Post by Robert Ric » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00


I'm curious as to whether or not the Intel TokenExpress cards will ever
be added to the 'supported' list...

Intel already has drivers for SCO, Unix V rls 4, and ActiveUnix...anyone
think they would write one themselves???

Thanks!

Bob

 
 
 

1. token ring token ring token ring

I would advice either going to a more recent kernel, or back to 1.2.x,
and applying the TR patch.  As far as I can tell, the built-in TR support
in 1.3 was broken early on, and not fixed until very recently.

I had no end of problems - normally showing as booting and init'ing the
TR card ok, could ping ok, but any more then that (such as telnet or ftp,
either into or out of the Linux machine) gave a kernel panic.

Compiled up 1.3.72 the other day and it's been running perfectly ever
since.  I'm using a Madge Straight Blue right now but have also used
some older IBM 4/16 cards.

Leonard

2. RPM problem

3. TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

4. Obtaining the base address of a pci device in solaris 2.6

5. token ring support for slackware or redhat

6. Kernel 2.4 driver for 3MVF 100MBit optical networking card ?

7. Does Linux support Token Ring networks?

8. Let me count the ways...

9. Token-Ring support?

10. Thomas Conrad Token Ring Support?

11. PCI token ring support needed

12. Token ring support?

13. linux token ring support?