Need Help: NFS mount doesn't work

Post by Bill Mitche » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me what the following error message means?

  mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

--
    Bill Mitchell
    Dept of Mathematics,        The University of Florida

Post by Robert Sima » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me what the following error message means?

>   mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

> --
>     Bill Mitchell
>     Dept of Mathematics,        The University of Florida
>     PO Box 118105, Gainesville, FL 32611--8105

That *means* the NFS server does not have some of rpc services.
If yr nfs server is Linux (2.0X), you have no rpc.lockd and rpc.statd.

I know this because it causes me a lot of headache on my network - I
tried to establish Linux as a NFS server. (see sparate news question).

Rgds,

Robert

Post by Art Hurs » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me what the following error message means?

>   mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

> --
>     Bill Mitchell
>     Dept of Mathematics,        The University of Florida
>     PO Box 118105, Gainesville, FL 32611--8105

        You need to be sure you have allowed NFS access in the /etc/exports
file, but once you have modified this you must restart the nfs daemon
before the new access is allowed. I don't remember if you also need to
restart inetd. As I recall, I had to restart on the opposite system that
I thought was the problem, but didn't write it down, things started
working so I went on to the next problem :-0

        Art
--

pier to pier protocols only work between docking stations ;-)

Post by William R. Matti » Sun, 31 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > Can anyone tell me what the following error message means?

> >   mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

> > --
> >     Bill Mitchell
> >     Dept of Mathematics,        The University of Florida
> >     PO Box 118105, Gainesville, FL 32611--8105

> That *means* the NFS server does not have some of rpc services.
> If yr nfs server is Linux (2.0X), you have no rpc.lockd and rpc.statd.

> I know this because it causes me a lot of headache on my network - I
> tried to establish Linux as a NFS server. (see sparate news question).

> Rgds,

> Robert

This could very well be true But..... I recieved this exact same message
when trying to mount an exported drive on a machine that had some
garbage charaters in its /etc/hosts.deny. These characters just happened
to start with "ALL" which basically short circuited any attempt(s) from
trusted hosts to use certain services. Poking around in the code led me
on many wild goose chases on the "client" machine before I started
looking at the "server" and its /etc/host* files. So I would amend your
statement to read:

That *means* the NFS server can not provide some of rpc services.

Not exactly the same thing....

Regards
Bill

--
William R. Mattil .....| Fred Astaire wasn't so great......

(972) 256-3219 ........| and in high heels

1. NFS on my RH5.2 system doesn't work, help needed

Hi everyone,
I am trying to get rid of Bill's crap an have managed to install RH5.2
on my system. To install it on my system I downloaded evreything to our
NT server in installed it on my system bt ftp. Now we also want to do
the server but we do not have suffiecienh harddisk space on that system
and thus I put everything on my machine in the dir /usr/pub/ftp/. The
bad news now is that I cannot mount that dir with NFS, and this is where
I need your help.
Today I managed to install a kernel update (2.0.36-3) but this
(obvious)_ did not resove the problem.
What did I do to get my machine working as a NFS server?

1) I started portmap. (I checked with "ps" but I see nothing, on the
other hand I see it when I boot/shutdown as a service)
2) I followed the instructions in Redhat system configuration and also
checked the NFS-howto:

exports looks like (note, I am 10.0.0.4, nt server 10.0.0.6):
/pub/usr/ftp 10.0.0.4(ro,insecure)
/pub/usr/ftp 10.0.0.6(ro,insecure)

Redhat made its own exportfs (and I have also ranit manually) and when I
type "rpcinfo -p":

program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 rpcbind
100000 2 udp 111 rpcbind
100005 1 udp 635 mountd
100005 2 udp 635 mountd
100005 1 tcp 635 mountd
100005 2 tcp 635 mountd
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs

Allas,
when I type
"mount -t nfs 10.0.0.4/pub/usr/ftp /root/test" I get:
mount -t nfs 10.0.0.4/pub/usr/ftp failed, reason given by server:
Permission denied

Who can help me to solve this?

One thing I should note: my /proc/filesystems does not contain the line
"nodev nfs", this I read on some page but I cannot find how I can add a
nfs filesystems and besides I do not know if this resolves the problem.

Any help is appreciated, please also reply via e-mail.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sanders

2. Quota change question?

3. NFS root mounting doesn't work with 2.1.xxx kernels.

4. farjmp and farcall

5. NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.

6. DHCP changes lately?

7. Nested NFS mount doesn't work ???

8. Free Space on EXT2 Drive

9. Xauthority doesn't work with NFS mounted .Xauthority file

10. mount works but mount -a doesn't

11. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

12. PC-NFS doesn't work on some of the computers, help.

13. HELP: RH5.1-i386 install over NFS/SMB/ftp doesn't work