Exiting MINICOM the right way???HOW

Post by Zach » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

   I have been able to dial my isp succesfully through minicom,  however
after it "connects" I get a lot of "starting ppp session" and then a lot
of strange characters. When I exit without resetting It seems to loose
connection because I can't ping anything and  when I run pppd as an auto
login script under minicom it seems to freeze and if I bring up a new
shell it still can't ping. How/what script is requiered to actually
connect to my isp and use netscape, etc.........

Post by Roope Anttine » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>    I have been able to dial my isp succesfully through minicom,  however
> after it "connects" I get a lot of "starting ppp session" and then a lot
> of strange characters. When I exit without resetting It seems to loose
> connection because I can't ping anything and  when I run pppd as an auto
> login script under minicom it seems to freeze and if I bring up a new
> shell it still can't ping. How/what script is requiered to actually
> connect to my isp and use netscape, etc.........

This is my way: login with minicom, start ppp at ISP, exit minicom with
alt-Q (xminicom), kick pppd up. I don't know if your problem is that the
line hangs up when you exit minicom? I've got external USR speedster 28.8
which can be jumpered so that it doesn't hangup when DTR(or DSR or whatever
it was) is dropped.

Roope

--
MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

        +358 9 812 7567  /  +358 49 465 902  /  +358 49 445 565
                http://myy.helia.fi/~anttiner/index.html
   Helsinki Business Polytechnic - Institute of information technology

Post by Bob Niels » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>   I have been able to dial my isp succesfully through minicom,  however
>after it "connects" I get a lot of "starting ppp session" and then a lot
>of strange characters. When I exit without resetting It seems to loose
>connection because I can't ping anything and  when I run pppd as an auto
>login script under minicom it seems to freeze and if I bring up a new
>shell it still can't ping. How/what script is requiered to actually
>connect to my isp and use netscape, etc.........

IMHO, it's much easier to use ppp directly, rather than with minicom.  See
the PPP-HOWTO for script examples.

Bob

--

                                http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen/

1. Exiting MINICOM The right way?How?

I have been able to dial my isp succesfully through minicom,  however
after it "connects" I get a lot of "starting ppp session" and then a lot
of strange characters. When I exit without resetting It seems to loose
connection because I can't ping anything and  when I run pppd as an auto
login script under minicom it seems to freeze and if I bring up a new
shell it still can't ping. How/what script is requiered to actually
connect to my isp and use netscape, etc.........

2. Can this be done with one instance of sed (or something else)?

3. Help!! Cannot exit from Minicom

4. 3com isdn pro ta

5. minicom - dials AFTER exiting program

6. Smail 3.1 Help needed

7. modem dials AFTER minicom exit

8. Socks5 and Communicator 4.61

9. Power Management: exiting minicom disables power management?

10. How to exit from minicom?

11. Modem Dials *After* I Exit Minicom

12. Exiting MINICOM theright way??HOW

13. (type) script exits right away