Portmap running as "#1" ?????

Post by Jon Fo » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I've noticed recently that whenever I issue a ps, portmap appears to be
>running as #1.  All my other appear to be running as root.

This should read:

I've noticed recently that whenever I issue a ps, portmap appears to be
running as #1.  All my other daemons appear to be running as root.

Sorry
-Jon

Portmap running as "#1" ?????

Post by Jon Fo » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I've noticed recently that whenever I issue a ps, portmap appears to be
running as #1.  All my other appear to be running as root.  Although I
can't find user "#1" referenced anywhere, this would not normally concern
me except that my nfs services now seem broken.  I keep getting :

clntudp_create - RPC: Program not registered

I've encountered this error of late whenever I try to use the mount
command with nfs directories.   I also get this when trying to use the
showmount command.  Also, my nfsd seems to be using an inordinate amount
of system resources (top says 40 - 50 % of the CPU is being used by it
even when I'm not doing anything regarding nfs).  Also, mountd just hangs
indefinitely when I try to start it.  I presume all these above errors
are the result of something stupid I've done or am overlooking (I favor
the former since my nfs used to work fine).   Could a newer kernel
version have something to do with this...  Or possibly mismatched
versions of rpc service daemons?  Any help in this matter or at least
somewhere where I can RTFM would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
-Jon