Help with DSL !!!

Post by Klor » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I just got DSL service yesterday. I have never used my network card in
Linux. I have DSL working great in Windows 98. Now I need some
direction on getting it working in Linux.

I am assuming that I need to get my network card mounted. How do I do
that? Once that's done, where do I go to plug in the following...

IP Address
DNS (primary, alternate, whatever)
Gateway
Subnet

Is there anything else that I am missing? Any one know of a
compressive FAQ? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Help with DSL !!!

Post by Lew Pitch » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I just got DSL service yesterday. I have never used my network card in
>Linux. I have DSL working great in Windows 98. Now I need some
>direction on getting it working in Linux.

>I am assuming that I need to get my network card mounted. How do I do
>that? Once that's done, where do I go to plug in the following...

>IP Address
>DNS (primary, alternate, whatever)
>Gateway
>Subnet

IP Address, Gateway, and Subnet go into the startup script
in which your interface is initialized (/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
if you are using Slackware Linux)

DNS goes into /etc/resolv.conf (libc5) or /etc/nsswitch (libc6),
but if you've got DSL service, you can run your own DNS rather than
using theirs.

>Is there anything else that I am missing? Any one know of a
>compressive FAQ? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

Help with DSL !!!

Post by Just This Gir » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Q1. What network card do you have?
Q2. Which distribution of Linux are you using?
Q3. Is your IP address static or dynamic?

> I just got DSL service yesterday. I have never used my network card in
> Linux. I have DSL working great in Windows 98. Now I need some
> direction on getting it working in Linux.

> I am assuming that I need to get my network card mounted. How do I do
> that?

You will need to recompile the driver into your kernel or use a loadable
module. I can't tell you which way or which one without knowing the
brand and model of network card you are wanting to use. See the Kernel
How-To.

If you are using a loadable module, you can have the card probed at
startup with a modprobe command in your init scripts. See the Ethernet
How-To.

Some distributions have utilities that will ask you questions and
configure all your networking for you based on your answers. I cannot
tell you which one to use unless I know which distribution you are
using.

To do it the manual way, please keep reading:

Quote:>Once that's done, where do I go to plug in the following...

> IP Address

If you have a static IP address, you will have to put it in /etc/hosts.
If you have a dynamic IP address, you will have to run dhcpd or
something similar for your IP address to be assigned to your machine. I
have no experience in a dynamic installation, but there are HowTos at
http://www.linux-howto.com

Quote:> DNS (primary, alternate, whatever)

This goes in /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/nsswitch, even if you run named on
your own server. You have to list yourself there or it won't know where
to go for resolution.

Quote:> Gateway
> Subnet

These two things, along with your IP address, are used in ifconfig and
and route. If you have a dymanic IP address, I don't know what to tell
you to do, but if you are static, you will need to put something like:

ifconfig eth0 <ipaddress> <netmask>
route add default <gateway>

in your rc.d grouping of files. Which file this would be depends on your
distribution.

Quote:

> Is there anything else that I am missing? Any one know of a
> compressive FAQ? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

Try looking at the Net3-4 and Ethernet HowTos at
http://www.linux-howto.com
> Thanks

Help with DSL !!!

Post by Kovale » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

|:
|: >I just got DSL service yesterday. I have never used my network card in
|: >Linux. I have DSL working great in Windows 98. Now I need some
|: >direction on getting it working in Linux.
First you need to identify your card and load the right driver.
(look for the following - /sbin/insmod, modprobe, lsmod, rmmod, depmod)
once you get right parameters for the module,
edit /etc/conf.modules like this
"alias eth0 <yourdriver>
options <yourdriver> <options>"    (most likely theese would be io=<yourIO> and
irq=<your IRQ>)

If don't really want to go further into detailes, where your system stores
essential config-files and that sort of thing, use GUI configuration tool,
I assume most of current distros have some.
In RedHat it's netcfg, which can be invoked via "Control Panel" in main
startup menu of GNOME.

Most of the fields you have to fill in are self explanatory.

As for FAQ/HOWTOs, I found these especially helpful (just installed DSL
a week ago)
Ethernet-HOWTO (a must)
Modules-HOWTO (a must, helpful not only with this particular problem,
if you spend any considerable amount of time under linux, you have to know
how to use modules)
IPMasq-HOWTO (for IP-masq if you have to do it)

ADSL-miniHOWTO, although very interesting from the technical point of view,
doesn't contain complete step-by-step guide and mostly references you back
to one of the above.
NET3-HOWTO also might be helpful, one you're done with the hardware part,
and want to configure services, etc.

Cheers

Help with DSL !!!

Post by Klor » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

A.1. I use an SMC network card model # SMC8432BTA. The exact location
for the Linux driver is
ftp://smc.ni.net/downloads/Products/drivers/8432/
the driver is called tulip.c and I am not sure what to do with it
because I am still a little new with Linux.

A2. I use Linux-Mandrake 6.0. It's basically an optimized version of
RedHat for pentium systems.

A3. My IP address is static.

How much does this change the information that you have already given?
What do I need to do to get up and running on DSL?

>Q1. What network card do you have?
>Q2. Which distribution of Linux are you using?
>Q3. Is your IP address static or dynamic?

>> I just got DSL service yesterday. I have never used my network card in
>> Linux. I have DSL working great in Windows 98. Now I need some
>> direction on getting it working in Linux.

>> I am assuming that I need to get my network card mounted. How do I do
>> that?

>You will need to recompile the driver into your kernel or use a loadable
>module. I can't tell you which way or which one without knowing the
>brand and model of network card you are wanting to use. See the Kernel
>How-To.

>If you are using a loadable module, you can have the card probed at
>startup with a modprobe command in your init scripts. See the Ethernet
>How-To.

>Some distributions have utilities that will ask you questions and
>configure all your networking for you based on your answers. I cannot
>tell you which one to use unless I know which distribution you are
>using.

>To do it the manual way, please keep reading:

>>Once that's done, where do I go to plug in the following...

>> IP Address

>If you have a static IP address, you will have to put it in /etc/hosts.
>If you have a dynamic IP address, you will have to run dhcpd or
>something similar for your IP address to be assigned to your machine. I
>have no experience in a dynamic installation, but there are HowTos at
>http://www.linux-howto.com

>> DNS (primary, alternate, whatever)

>This goes in /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/nsswitch, even if you run named on
>your own server. You have to list yourself there or it won't know where
>to go for resolution.

>> Gateway
>> Subnet

>These two things, along with your IP address, are used in ifconfig and
>and route. If you have a dymanic IP address, I don't know what to tell
>you to do, but if you are static, you will need to put something like:

>ifconfig eth0 <ipaddress> <netmask>
>route add default <gateway>

>in your rc.d grouping of files. Which file this would be depends on your
>distribution.

>> Is there anything else that I am missing? Any one know of a
>> compressive FAQ? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

>Try looking at the Net3-4 and Ethernet HowTos at
>http://www.linux-howto.com

>> Thanks

1. Need help with DSL connection

I've just installed Linux-Mandrake 7.1. I'm new to Linux and need help
configuring my DSL connection. I'm using a Netgear FA310TX NIC (which I
believe I have configured properly) and use GTE as my ISP. GTE uses DHCP
so I went into linuxconf and set up the adapter to use DHCP, selected
eth0 and the tulip driver. When linux boots up it tells me that eth0
cannot find a DHCP client. What else do I need to do or do differently
to get dsl working. I'm pretty much clueless on this subject so any
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. mgetty leaves pppd hanging

3. Help for DSL access through wlan

4. AutoRaise and Lock Screen

5. help with DSL access

6. Looking for daemon source

7. Need help with dsl (3rd request)

8. RPM installation

9. netcfg Help for DSL Access

10. Need help with dsl

11. Need Help Installing DSL Modem on Mandrake

12. help on DSL setup

13. Help with DSL and IP_Masq