Installing via network (NFS,FTP, or SMB) I need help badly

Installing via network (NFS,FTP, or SMB) I need help badly

Post by J. K. Tower » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have Red Hat 5.2 cd...and boot/supp disk
I have win 98 (AMD-2/333Mhz)
I also have 386 with 16mbram and 170mb HD

My win 98 that has two nic:

one NIC (I call it NIC A)which goes to cable modem and IP was assigned
dynamically (DHCP)..

 and another NIC (I call it NIC B )(it for temporary use)) I gave it IP of
10.0.0.1 and that goes to my another computer a 386 which has one NIC which
will have ip of 10.0.0.2

I wish to install Linux on 386 (to build firewall server for my cable modem)
but CDROM on 386 is inaccessible (old old interface) so Im left with choice
...install from NFS or SMB or FTP...

I can boot from RedHat flobby and go thru the usual step but when it comes
to "ready to install" it failed to "mount" win98's cdrom which has RedHat CD
in it....

this is only a temporary networking setup until I finally installed Linux
onto the 386 HD and after its done then I just reconfiger it after I
re-arranged the network setup later to accomplish my goal...

Please Help me out.....!!!

Installing via network (NFS,FTP, or SMB) I need help badly

Post by patrick.them.. » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have Red Hat 5.2 cd...and boot/supp disk
> I have win 98 (AMD-2/333Mhz)
> I also have 386 with 16mbram and 170mb HD

> My win 98 that has two nic:

> one NIC (I call it NIC A)which goes to cable modem and IP was assigned
> dynamically (DHCP)..

>  and another NIC (I call it NIC B )(it for temporary use)) I gave it
IP of
> 10.0.0.1 and that goes to my another computer a 386 which has one NIC
which
> will have ip of 10.0.0.2

> I wish to install Linux on 386 (to build firewall server for my cable
modem)
> but CDROM on 386 is inaccessible (old old interface) so Im left with
choice
> ...install from NFS or SMB or FTP...

> I can boot from RedHat flobby and go thru the usual step but when it
comes
> to "ready to install" it failed to "mount" win98's cdrom which has
RedHat CD
> in it....

> this is only a temporary networking setup until I finally installed
Linux
> onto the 386 HD and after its done then I just reconfiger it after I
> re-arranged the network setup later to accomplish my goal...

> Please Help me out.....!!!

smbmount //win98box/cdrom /mnt  should do the trick -
if your installation really supports smb
of course, you will need to share the cdrom in win98,
make it accessible for 'everyone'
you still might have to set up a user 'installation' ,give him a
password and enable plaintextpasswords -
i'm not sure about this,
see if win98 prompts for a user at all.

hth

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. HELP: RH5.1-i386 install over NFS/SMB/ftp doesn't work

Hi, I am trying to install RH5.1 on an old PC which doesn't have a CDROM drive and so
installing i t remove using Ethernet. When I try NFS, it says error in second stage. File
not found. SMB says host not found. ftp says Unexpected ftp server response(the server runs RH 5.0)
Is it possible to install RH5.1 without a CDROM or hard disk? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
-S

2. PPP setup/configuration debugging help needed.

3. installing via nfs -- help was Re: Using NFS to install -- What site?

4. recompile kernel...??

5. Help on installing RedHat via FTP/NFS/HTTP

6. Sending SCSI device commands???

7. help needed in installing redht 6.1 via NFS

8. Help this newbie with Lilo please

9. Curious Networking problem: Installed via FTP but now the Network won't start.

10. Need Help Installing via FTP or Samba

11. need help installing redhat5.2 via ftp

12. Need help for installing RedHat 7 via FTP

13. Advice needed for network planning (Firewall, Proxy, DNS, DHCP, SMB, FTP, HTTP, SSH, VPN)