ifconfig question and DNS/DIG question

Post by John Mark Emer » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Thanks for reading this posting!

I have two questions.

In slackware linux (not sure about other releases), typing ifconfig
without any switches displays your Network interfaces.  Among the output
of the command for each interface is; packets TX and packets RX.  I need
either one of two things.  I need to know how big a packet is?  How many
bytes, et cetera.  I don't think there is a way to do this however, I
have a feeling after some digging around that data packets can be of
varying size.  If this is the case, I need to know if there is a utility
that shows total transmitted bytes and received bytes since the
interface's been initialized/brought up.  We're having some problems
with our ISP regarding billing and our metered T1!  In AIX there's the
entstat command.  A command like this for Linux would be perfect!
Thanks.

Second, is anyone else running DNS/BIND having trouble getting an
updated list/keeping thier db.cache file current??  The HOWTO files on
DNS recommend running the following command:

I'm getting the following output:

res_nsend to server rs.internic.net  198.41.0.6: Connection timed out

I've ftp'd to thier site but am confused about which file to get!  A
friend of mine has a shell account at her school, I've tried this from
thier machine with the same results, so I don't think it's just me.
I've been using the above dig command in a script for more than a year
now.  Anyone know what's going on/an alternative?

Thanks!

--
John Emery
System Administrator

Sue Mills, Inc.
1840 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

http://www.suemills.com

Post by Steve Cowle » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Thanks for reading this posting!

> I have two questions.

> In slackware linux (not sure about other releases), typing ifconfig
> without any switches displays your Network interfaces.  Among the output
> of the command for each interface is; packets TX and packets RX.  I need
> either one of two things.  I need to know how big a packet is?  How many
> bytes, et cetera.  I don't think there is a way to do this however, I
> have a feeling after some digging around that data packets can be of
> varying size.  If this is the case, I need to know if there is a utility
> that shows total transmitted bytes and received bytes since the
> interface's been initialized/brought up.  We're having some problems
> with our ISP regarding billing and our metered T1!  In AIX there's the
> entstat command.  A command like this for Linux would be perfect!
> Thanks.

> Second, is anyone else running DNS/BIND having trouble getting an
> updated list/keeping thier db.cache file current??  The HOWTO files on
> DNS recommend running the following command:

> I'm getting the following output:

> res_nsend to server rs.internic.net  198.41.0.6: Connection timed out

> I've ftp'd to thier site but am confused about which file to get!  A
> friend of mine has a shell account at her school, I've tried this from
> thier machine with the same results, so I don't think it's just me.
> I've been using the above dig command in a script for more than a year
> now.  Anyone know what's going on/an alternative?

> Thanks!

> --
> John Emery
> System Administrator

> Sue Mills, Inc.
> 1840 Market Street
> San Francisco, CA 94102

> http://www.suemills.com

1) If you have "iproute2" installed (http://defiant.coinet.com/iproute2), it
can give you the packets/bytes info for a interface (see below). As for the
individule packet sizes, i don't know.

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
    link/ether 00:60:97:14:71:34 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast
    998834614  34162702 130     0       16      0
    TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns
    259589706  47665619 0       0       1       693143

Steve Cowles

Post by Chad M. Stewar » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

>Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 09:08:17 -0700

>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
>Subject: ifconfig question and DNS/DIG question

>Hello,

>Thanks for reading this posting!

>I have two questions.

>In slackware linux (not sure about other releases), typing ifconfig
>without any switches displays your Network interfaces.  Among the output
>of the command for each interface is; packets TX and packets RX.  I need
>either one of two things.  I need to know how big a packet is?  How many
>bytes, et cetera.  I don't think there is a way to do this however, I
>have a feeling after some digging around that data packets can be of
>varying size.  If this is the case, I need to know if there is a utility
>that shows total transmitted bytes and received bytes since the
>interface's been initialized/brought up.  We're having some problems
>with our ISP regarding billing and our metered T1!  In AIX there's the
>entstat command.  A command like this for Linux would be perfect!
>Thanks.

I recall seeing something in the ports collection of FreeBSD, you might want
to take a look there.

-Chad-

>Second, is anyone else running DNS/BIND having trouble getting an
>updated list/keeping thier db.cache file current??  The HOWTO files on
>DNS recommend running the following command:

>I'm getting the following output:

>res_nsend to server rs.internic.net  198.41.0.6: Connection timed out

>I've ftp'd to thier site but am confused about which file to get!  A
>friend of mine has a shell account at her school, I've tried this from
>thier machine with the same results, so I don't think it's just me.
>I've been using the above dig command in a script for more than a year
>now.  Anyone know what's going on/an alternative?

>Thanks!

>--
>John Emery
>System Administrator

>Sue Mills, Inc.
>1840 Market Street
>San Francisco, CA 94102

>http://www.suemills.com

1. the DNS question when using dig command

Hi! I'm using Redhat 9 to setup my DNS service.
And I found out the situation is that when I using dig command on local
computer,
it will show the correct DNS information about my server. But If I usingdig
command in out of my intranet,
then it will show the ISP information but not my server's information.

Here is my ARPA's setup file:

                        1997022700         ;serial
                        28800                   ;refresh
                        14400                   ;retry
                        3600000               ;expire
                        86400   )               ;minimum
        IN      NS      abc.com.

131     IN      PTR     abc.com.arpa.
131     IN      PTR     dns.abc.com.arpa.

Is it any problem about this file?
Thank you!

2. TOP iowait vs iostat; 100% reading accurate?

3. DNS lookup question / LILO question

4. grep problem

5. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

6. e1000 as module gives unresolved symbol _mmx_memcpy

7. dns dig queries, tcpdump

8. C KEYBOARD FUNCTIONS ?

9. using DIG but show the ISP's dns ??

10. DNS lookups with dig fails

11. Preventing DIG on dns info

12. Cannot dig ip from dns name

13. digfe-0.7.5 - a free GUI front-end for the dns client program, dig.