Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 woes

Post by bgli.. » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am running Slackware 3.0 with kernel 1.2.13

I have an Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 IDE adapter.

In recompiling the kernel, I selected the Ether Express network drivers
(no others)

The kernel compiles with no errors.
The loopback address 127.0.0.1 works correctly.

Upon boot, when /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 is run, I get errors associated with
the following commands:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADD} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask $(NETMASK}
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such Device

/sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK}
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

/sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

rc.inet1 was generated from the netconfigure script using ip addresses
valid for my network.

It appears that the problem lies with the Ether Express drivers compiled
into the kernel.  Are there a different set of drivers that should
be used with this card?

Brent Glines

Post by Brent Gline » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I am running Slackware 3.0 with kernel 1.2.13

> I have an Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 IDE adapter.

> In recompiling the kernel, I selected the Ether Express network drivers
> (no others)

> The kernel compiles with no errors.
> The loopback address 127.0.0.1 works correctly.

> Upon boot, when /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 is run, I get errors associated with
> the following commands:

> /sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADD} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask $(NETMASK}
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such Device

> /sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK}
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

> /sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

> rc.inet1 was generated from the netconfigure script using ip addresses
> valid for my network.

> It appears that the problem lies with the Ether Express drivers compiled
> into the kernel.  Are there a different set of drivers that should
> be used with this card?

> Brent Glines

Since I posted this message, I discovered the Ether Express Pro/10 needs
an Beta driver in the 1.3.x kernel.  I installed the source for 1.3.10
(I think) and recompiled, selecting the new driver.  I have two systems,
a Quantex P-166 PCI system, and a Gateway 486-33 ISA system. Both
systems have the same Ether Express Pro/10  The new driver works
correctly on my quantex, but fails on my Gateway, giving the same error
messages listed above.

Any suggestions?

Brent Glines

Post by Ramo » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have two systems,
> a Quantex P-166 PCI system, and a Gateway 486-33 ISA system. Both
> systems have the same Ether Express Pro/10  The new driver works
> correctly on my quantex, but fails on my Gateway, giving the
> same error messages listed above.

Cruising around the Linux newsgroups, and the Caldera mailing
list, I have gathered that Gateway 2000 computers have
propietary motherboards, etc., that are not too compatible
with Linux.  I cannot offer any more details; but if you do
an Altavista/usenet search on +Gateway +Linux you ought to
get plenty of hits!

Ramon.  Nome, Alaska.  Real E-Mail Address:  rfg_AT_nome_net
        This was done to deter bulk e-mailers (Spammers).
        Convert by hand and type it in before pushing SEND !!