SAMBA And Windows Network

Post by Rober » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm a linux newbie and have recently installed Corel Linux.  I'm trying
to connect my Linux machine to the network that we have in my dorm and
I'm having problems doing it.  I can't seem to connect my Linux machine
to the windows network.  I tried configuring SAMBA, but when I went to
the option to browse the Windows Network in the Corel File Manager, it
asked me for my windows network password and login, however, I should
not need one to browse the network.  I have succesfully gotten on the
network and browsed other windows machines without one but I had to
reinstall linux due to a device problem.  Any help on configuring SAMBA
would be very appreciated.  I only want to browse machines, I don't want
to be a server or anything like that.

Regards,
Robert Battle

SAMBA And Windows Network

Post by Kurt Harpe » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have installed Corel Linux on my laptop, which hooks up to our Win95/98
network at work.  My NIC works with Linux.  I found that if I wanted to
access other network machines, I had to do two things (if I recall
correctly).   Use the Control Center to set up the necessary network
settings for your computer (IP address info and the like).  Then, use Corel
File Manager.  There is a menu item, I believe under Tools, or one of the
pull down menus, that allows you to Mount Network Share (I think that's the
right terminology).  I found it worked best to BROWSE to the desired drive,
select it, then give it a name for your system to use (like
/home/yourname/F).

Good luck.