How connect my PC 386 with my Linux box ??

How connect my PC 386 with my Linux box ??

Post by af » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi
I want connect my old 386 PC by null cable to my Linux box ( Pentinhum
133 Mhz), through serial interface.
Why emulator I use e how to do this works.
I'm newbye, so pls I need help Step by Step.

Tks in advance
Ademar

Post by Brian Wo » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Hi
: I want connect my old 386 PC by null cable to my Linux box ( Pentinhum
: 133 Mhz), through serial interface.
: Why emulator I use e how to do this works.
: I'm newbye, so pls I need help Step by Step.

I would check out the serial-HOWTO for complete info but the basics
are that you need to use a null-modem cable. The most basic of these
is just connect pin 2 at one end to pin 3 at the other, and pin 3
at the first end to pin 2 at the other. Pin 7 is connected to pin 7.

You can run any terminal emulation program at the 386 end. If you
are running windows the "terminal" program will work just fine,
if you are running DOS then anything like Q-Modem, Pro-Comm or the
like will work.

Make sure the baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity etc. are the
same at both ends.

If you get problems with overruns etc. then you may have to use
the handshaking lines (cts/rts, dsr,dtr) and if you run too fast
you may have to make sure that you have buffered UARTS (16550c's)
at both ends.

Again, check out that HOWTO.

--
Brian E.W. Wood

"Would you put your money in a bank which used Windows '95 to manage accounts?"

Post by Ron Hensl » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Hi
>I want connect my old 386 PC by null cable to my Linux box ( Pentinhum
>133 Mhz), through serial interface.
>Why emulator I use e how to do this works.
>I'm newbye, so pls I need help Step by Step.

What you need to do is start up an getty for the device you null modem to.

pico /etc/inittab
you have a section like:

# Serial lines
#s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS0 vt100
#s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS1 vt100

uncomment the correct one, s1 for Serial 1, s2 for Serial 2
As youre connecting to a computer/terminal and not to a modem you have to
tell getty not to wait for carrier detection.

s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 19200 ttyS0 vt100

man agetty shows the -L disables the need for carrier detection

you then need to restart things, either reboot ir:
  /sbin/telinit 5

as you are probably in runlevel 5. This is just this first time, one you
reboot it will happen automatically.

on your 386, youll need to fire up a communications program and choose
'direct connection' with the exact same Baud Rate as you had in your
linux boxs /etc/inittab

    *   Junior Systems Administrator    http://www.dmv.com/~ron       *
    *                                   PGP Key at WWW Page           *
    *   DelMarVa OnLine                 749-7898 Ext. 403             *

How connect my PC 386 with my Linux box ??

Post by Michae » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Read the NET2 HOWTO, it has a section on hooking up a remote puter via null
modem cable.

Quote:> Hi
> I want connect my old 386 PC by null cable to my Linux box ( Pentinhum
> 133 Mhz), through serial interface.
> Why emulator I use e how to do this works.
> I'm newbye, so pls I need help Step by Step.

> Tks in advance
> Ademar

1. howto setup a ppp server ( connecting an old 386 laptop to an unix box)

Hello world :o)

does any body know a programm that can act as asimple ppp server .
the server schould support compression .

tnx
Dennis Senftleben (germany )

2. EIDE advice wanted

3. Linux in 386 Boxes

4. CVS server

5. what linux to buy?

6. ram/swap

7. Adding ram to 386; Linux box

8. Linux in 386 Boxes

9. Turning 386 linux box into Xterm

10. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

11. small linux on 386 pc