Does 3Com modem-ethernet combo PCMCIA work with linux?

Does 3Com modem-ethernet combo PCMCIA work with linux?

Post by David La » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I would appreciate if someone would help me with the problem
of figuring out what equipment to buy so I can load up my laptop with
linux and connect it to a Unix network through a 10BaseT line with
RJ45 connector.

My laptop is a Hitachi E133TC which doesn't come with a modem.
I am thinking of getting a 3Com modem-ethernet combo card or some
other equivalent product(s) for my purpose.

        3Com EtherLink III LAN + 33.6 modem PC card
        model: 3C562D-TP
                10BASE-T LAN + 33.6 modem PC card

 My question is first, would the 3Com PCMCIA card compatible
with linux?  And if so, where can I get the driver or is it
that the driver will come as part of the linux distribution?

But if the 3Com will not work for my application, I would appreciate
if someone could suggest a suitable PCMCIA modem-ethernet combo product
for my laptop.

As I am a complete novice of linux, it'll be great if someone
could also point me to the most apprepriate FTP site(s) or means to
get a copy of the linux distribution and the driver(s) I will need
for the ethernet link.

Thank you and as I am not a regular subscriber to this newsgroup,
I would appreciate if the suggestions or advice could also be emailed
to me.  Thank you very much in advance.

David Lau
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

1. 3com 3ccem556 combo pcmcia card modem won't work

I'm having difficulty with my 3com pcmcia combo card. the lan portion works fine, but the
modem will either not dial or gives me back a strange noise (clicking) from the card.
when i do a query from wvdialconf, the modem is identified correctly, and will initialize with ATZ
but after that, no go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have tried different init strings to no avail.

thanks,
craig bush

2. Printing to Networked Printers

3. Problem accessing modem on Linksys combo ethernet modem PCMCIA card

4. REQ: help, simply mounting MSDOS floppy!

5. How to make pcmcia ethernet card that works with Linux work with dos? . .

6. AIX Kernel Dump: Is this a paging/memory issue?

7. 3Com 3C562 pcmcia combo ether/modem pccard

8. how do I put 1 web server on 2 isp's?

9. any trouble with 3com ethernet+modem combo?

10. IBM Home and Away PCMCIA ethernet/modem combo.

11. PCMCIA modem/ethernet combo card

12. PCMCIA MODEM ETHERNET COMBO