PPP to AT&T WorldNet?

Post by Ray Schafe » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone been successful with establishing a PPP connection with AT&T
WorldNet?
The chat gets through the login, but instead of prompting for a
password, it seems to start the PPP protocol, and then seems to expect
some special way to send the password over.  In Win95 they have an
executable to perform the login sequence.

I hope that I don't have to change providers...

--

The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting

PPP to AT&T WorldNet?

Post by Ken Oste » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone been successful with establishing a PPP connection with AT&T
> WorldNet?
> The chat gets through the login, but instead of prompting for a
> password, it seems to start the PPP protocol, and then seems to expect
> some special way to send the password over.  In Win95 they have an
> executable to perform the login sequence.

> I hope that I don't have to change providers...

> --

> The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting

Yes... I use AT&T Worldnet and Redhat 5.0 Linux... And have a small LAN
connect my kids win95 pc also using IP Masquerading.

Check out the WURD (Worldnet Users Reference Desk)
The Linux link: http://www.wurd.com/wurd/software/dialers/linux.html

once you see what data you need (userid/password/phone #/ etc)
you can also use X-ISP.

I use it and like it.
It's at: http://users.hol.gr/~dbouras/

Ken O

PPP to AT&T WorldNet?

Post by Walter B Kulecz, P » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Has anyone been successful with establishing a PPP connection with AT&T
>WorldNet?
>The chat gets through the login, but instead of prompting for a
>password, it seems to start the PPP protocol, and then seems to expect
>some special way to send the password over.  In Win95 they have an
>executable to perform the login sequence.

worldnet uses chap not a scripted login or pap.  Setup your
chap-secrets file and it'll work fine.  You need to use the hashed
version of your login password as your "secret" I think you can find
it in the reg.ini file that gets created during the windows signup.

There is an "unofficial" worldnet linux page but its moved since I
last looked so I don't have a valid URL.  A dejanews search on
worldnet and linux should turn it up.

--wally.