Problem with samba

Post by Thomas Rackwi » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hallo everyone,
I 've installed samba on my linux pc. i #ved modified the
smb.conf file. then i 've executed the testparm. Testparm shows
no errors. i have started smbd -d ./smb.conf, but smbd was closing.
I can't start it as an deamon. Have anybody had this problem ?
Can anybody say how can i look for the mistake ?
Greetings
Thomas Rackwitz

Problem with samba

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hallo everyone,
>I 've installed samba on my linux pc. i #ved modified the
>smb.conf file. then i 've executed the testparm. Testparm shows
>no errors. i have started smbd -d ./smb.conf, but smbd was closing.
>I can't start it as an deamon. Have anybody had this problem ?
>Can anybody say how can i look for the mistake ?
>Greetings
>Thomas Rackwitz

Have you checked log.nmb?  Unless you have a network connection that
is already up when Samba starts, try adding to smb.conf:

interfaces = 127.0.0.1

Otherwise nmbd may try to use an interface that does not exist, goes
into an endless loop, and eventually dies.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Problem with samba

Post by John H Terpstr » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hallo everyone,
> I 've installed samba on my linux pc. i #ved modified the
> smb.conf file. then i 've executed the testparm. Testparm shows
> no errors. i have started smbd -d ./smb.conf, but smbd was closing.
> I can't start it as an deamon. Have anybody had this problem ?
> Can anybody say how can i look for the mistake ?
> Greetings
> Thomas Rackwitz

  Try smbd -D, not smbd -d. upper case D == daemon mode, lower case d ==
debug.

John H Terpstra

1. problems with samba v2.08

i got my subject-header wrong. sorry for the repost!

hi folks!
perhaps somebody could give me a hint about that:

i'm runnung samba v2.08 on a linux debian potato (kernel 2.2, glibc
2.4.4.1).
if a win2k client creates files/directories on my samba share, they
have their permissions set to 0776.
my smb.conf looks like this:
                create mask = 0770
and             force create mask = 0770
furthermore     directory security mask = 0777
(to enable the clients to change their file permissions)

according to man smb.conf the first and then second bitmask are
bitwise or'ed:
        0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0
or      0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0
result: 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0

=> 0770! but samba sets them to 0776. any ideas (urgent!).

another one: i need to create files/directories with german umlauts
from my win2k client. if i do so, i get weird file-/directory-names on
the filesystem layer (? - ls results an '?' for the specified chars,
bash interprets them as regular expressions). how do i get it working?
if i create files/directories with umlauts on my linux box, ls returns
'?' but bash escapes them correctly.
ideas?

lots of thanx in advance

andreas

--
If my mom could cook like Cartman's mom, I would become a big fatass, too. [Aus Southpark]

2. Can't write to HPFS partition.

3. a little problem about Samba

4. Upgrade-in-a-box-29

5. problems with samba

6. repository???

7. Problem connecting samba

8. 34-mm2 ide problems - unexpected interrupt

9. Problem with samba

10. Short name problem with samba??

11. I have some sort of permission problem with samba

12. Problems with Samba

13. Microsoft Access database file problems on Samba share