Need help to set up two ethernet NE2000 cpt ISA cards

Need help to set up two ethernet NE2000 cpt ISA cards

Post by David Anderso » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:35:40

Hi all.

I have a server to be that will act as a firewall between the net and my
lan. To this effect I have bought two ISA NE2000 compatible cards, which are
recognised by linux and by the compaq bios of my server.

I install the first card, assign it specific I/Os and IRQ in the bios, and
assign eth0 to those I/Os and IRQ. When the ethernet card is connected to my
cable modem it works fine.

Then I install the second one in the same way. There comes the problem: when
both cards are there, eth0 doesn't load, giving the vaguest of vague helps:
Delaying eth0 initialisation. And eth1 does the same.

Does anyone know what the problem is?? Here are the general specs of my
server:

 - Kernel ver. 2.2.5-15
 - eth0 (bios setting): I/O=0x340, IRQ=4
 - eth1 (bios setting): I/O=0x300, IRQ=2(9)
 - ethernet driver used: 'ne'

Anything else that you'd need knowing, just ask

Thanks in advance for your help
--
REALITY.SYS not found. Universe halted.
"Does God run Windows 98?"

Need help to set up two ethernet NE2000 cpt ISA cards

Post by Joel » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:53:48

I'm not sure how this bios thing works, but try configuring the cards from
linux instead of the bios.  Do this:

add this to /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x340,0x300 irq=4,2

now take out your settings from the bios, and reboot.  Also make sure that
your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 are valid.
God Bless!

Quote:> Hi all.

> I have a server to be that will act as a firewall between the net and my
> lan. To this effect I have bought two ISA NE2000 compatible cards, which
are
> recognised by linux and by the compaq bios of my server.

> I install the first card, assign it specific I/Os and IRQ in the bios, and
> assign eth0 to those I/Os and IRQ. When the ethernet card is connected to
my
> cable modem it works fine.

> Then I install the second one in the same way. There comes the problem:
when
> both cards are there, eth0 doesn't load, giving the vaguest of vague
helps:
> Delaying eth0 initialisation. And eth1 does the same.

> Does anyone know what the problem is?? Here are the general specs of my
> server:

>  - Kernel ver. 2.2.5-15
>  - eth0 (bios setting): I/O=0x340, IRQ=4
>  - eth1 (bios setting): I/O=0x300, IRQ=2(9)
>  - ethernet driver used: 'ne'

> Anything else that you'd need knowing, just ask

> Thanks in advance for your help
> --
> REALITY.SYS not found. Universe halted.
> "Does God run Windows 98?"
> --

Need help to set up two ethernet NE2000 cpt ISA cards

Post by David Anderso » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:52:23

Thanks :-)

David Anderson
--
What if God had used Windows 98?
    REALITY.SYS not found. Universe halted.
--

1. Help needed: trying to set up 2 Ethernet cards (1 ISA, 1 PCI)

Greetings,

I can use some help from the more experienced people here.  I'm trying
to set up a linux box with 2 Ethernet interfaces but so far have been
frustrated by a combination of problems.  I could get one of the cards
to work, but not both.

Here's the hardware and the source of the problem:  I have an ALR box
with a no-name plug-and-play BIOS, a 3Com 509 Ethernet card, and a 3Com
900B-TPO Ethernet card (and several other cards I don't plan to use
but are currently plugged in).  I'm using the Red Hat 5.0 distribution.
I could get the 509 card to work, but no matter what I do, I couldn't
get the 900B to work, alone or in combination with the 509 card.  When
booting up, I got the message "delaying eth1 initialization" and nothing
I tried could get the interface to work.

As you can probably tell, I'm faced with a number of issues: two
Ethernet cards, plug-and-play, plug-and-play with ISA cards, card not
recognized by the driver (Becker's 3c59x driver doesn't know about the
'B' model of the 900.  I tweaked the driver to make it recognize the
card, hoping that 900 and 900B are essentially identical).  I have
problem with determining what the BIOS thinks is the hardware
configuration of the box.  As the box is a linux-only box, I don't have
Windows to fall back onto (to set the BIOS and the cards to a known
state).

Any help will be appreciated.  Please respond by posting.

Thanks in advance.

--The Bug Hunter

2. test

3. help with ISA ne2000 ethernet card

4. UUCP mail problems

5. help with NE2000 isa pnp card needed

6. vm philosophising

7. Two modems 1 ethernet card and two routes need help!

8. convert C++ comments to C

9. ISA NE2000 Ethernet card recommendations?

10. Ne2000 isa ethernet cards.

11. Two NE2000 compatible cards on one linux box: help needed