DNS and forwarders

Post by John Pose » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have been using bind 4.x on solaris as well as NT servers, and using
the forwarder directive for systems outside my net with success.  I am
now trying to do the same thing with Linux (slackware), have added the
forwarder (to my ISP's namservers) in the options in boot.conf.  No luck
in finding anything outside my domain.  Is there the real simple and
obvious that I am missing here?  Neither the Linux doc's or DNS
Resources Directory offered any help that I could find quickly.
Changing the resolv.conf is not really an option.

Thanks
 John

DNS and forwarders

Post by Mar » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi Jon,

I'm using ReHat 5.2 and BIND 8.something.  The config for this version
of BIND seems to be different than that for past versions.  I found
the DNS HOWTO to very useful.  The Linux books I have all have the
older version of BIND...

I think if you put a
zone "."
in you named.conf file and point it to the DNS root cache, you'll use
the NIC's root servers and eventaully find and cache anything your
looking for.  It seems to work for me. anyway

I'm new to Linux, so I could be completely wrong...

-Mark

Quote:>I have been using bind 4.x on solaris as well as NT servers, and using
>the forwarder directive for systems outside my net with success.  I am
>now trying to do the same thing with Linux (slackware), have added the
>forwarder (to my ISP's namservers) in the options in boot.conf.  No luck
>in finding anything outside my domain.  Is there the real simple and
>obvious that I am missing here?  Neither the Linux doc's or DNS
>Resources Directory offered any help that I could find quickly.
>Changing the resolv.conf is not really an option.

>Thanks
> John

DNS and forwarders

Post by Jess » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Mark, John,

Please don't do this.  Using the root servers for primary DNS is slow
and unnecessarily burdens these servers, impacting everyone on the
net.  Forwarding DNS requests to your ISP's nameserver will be much
faster and definitely more considerate of others.

Regards,
Jesse

> Hi Jon,

> I'm using ReHat 5.2 and BIND 8.something.  The config for this version
> of BIND seems to be different than that for past versions.  I found
> the DNS HOWTO to very useful.  The Linux books I have all have the
> older version of BIND...

> I think if you put a
> zone "."
> in you named.conf file and point it to the DNS root cache, you'll use
> the NIC's root servers and eventaully find and cache anything your
> looking for.  It seems to work for me. anyway

> I'm new to Linux, so I could be completely wrong...

> -Mark

>>I have been using bind 4.x on solaris as well as NT servers, and using
>>the forwarder directive for systems outside my net with success.  I am
>>now trying to do the same thing with Linux (slackware), have added the
>>forwarder (to my ISP's namservers) in the options in boot.conf.  No luck
>>in finding anything outside my domain.  Is there the real simple and
>>obvious that I am missing here?  Neither the Linux doc's or DNS
>>Resources Directory offered any help that I could find quickly.
>>Changing the resolv.conf is not really an option.

>>Thanks
>> John

DNS and forwarders

Post by Rob van der Putte » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi there

> I have been using bind 4.x on solaris as well as NT servers, and using
> the forwarder directive for systems outside my net with success.  I am
> now trying to do the same thing with Linux (slackware), have added the
> forwarder (to my ISP's namservers) in the options in boot.conf.  No luck
> in finding anything outside my domain.  Is there the real simple and
> obvious that I am missing here?  Neither the Linux doc's or DNS
> Resources Directory offered any help that I could find quickly.

Try nslookup Some_Host Your_Providers_Dns_Ip_Nr
This will show weather you can actually contact your ISPs DNS.

Regards,
Rob

|              http://www.sput.webster.nl/spam-policy.html               |

1. Dynamically add DNS forwarders

Hi,

Can named add forwarders dynamically (adding entries to resolv.conf is
not good enough in this case)?  I signed up for a dialup ISP that
won't let me make DNS queries except via their DNS servers.  (They
will be dumped at the end of the month.)  I am working around it with
a seperate options file included from named.conf, using ip-up/down
scripts to copy options.isp/options.default to options.conf followed
by 'ndc restart'.

Can named be more dynamic with forwarders?

Ian

2. SunOS group

3. Besides forwarding (itables) does one needs to set up an DNS forwarder?

4. wuftpd and proftpd

5. DNS forwarder? slave?

6. Beige + YDL + SCSI == Kernel Panic ???

7. Problems with RH 5.0 as masquerading firewall/RAS/DNS/forwarder

8. fsck - affects of checking mounted file systems

9. caching only dns & forwarders

10. DNS forwarder

11. DNS forwarders

12. AIX 4.3.x , dns forwarders -> rsh sleeping 20 seconds

13. DNS forwarders under AIX