Basic Local Area Networking Setup Help

Post by Brian Armstron » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:26:55

Need help setting up a LAN.

1.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up in linux without a router, just a
hub?

2.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up between linux and windows computers
without a router?

3.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up between linux and windows computers
using a router to connect to the internet through a cable modem?

Basic Network Setup Scheme (Please tinker with the following scheme by
adding or deleting to make it work)

I assume same subnet and broadcast numbers for all LAN computers, along
with same domain name (eg, *.localdomain.org) is needed.  And, of
course, Samba is needed for linux boxes to connect with Windose machine.

Router
     IP 192.168.1.1
     Subnet   255.255.255.0

Computer A
        host    one.localdomain.org
        IP      192.168.1.100
        Subnet  255.255.255.0
        Bcast   192.168.1.255

Computer B
        host    two.localdomain.org
        IP      192.168.1.101
        Subnet  255.255.255.0

Computer C Windose
        host    three.localdomain.org
        IP      192.168.1.102
        Subnet  255.255.255.0

Basic Local Area Networking Setup Help

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:48:47

Hi!,

Quote:> Need help setting up a LAN.

> 1.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up in linux without a router, just a
> hub?

Yes.

Quote:

> 2.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up between linux and windows computers
> without a router?

Yes.

Quote:

> 3.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up between linux and windows computers
> using a router to connect to the internet through a cable modem?

Yes.
Quote:

> Basic Network Setup Scheme (Please tinker with the following scheme by
> adding or deleting to make it work)

> I assume same subnet and broadcast numbers for all LAN computers, along
> with same domain name (eg, *.localdomain.org) is needed.  And, of
> course, Samba is needed for linux boxes to connect with Windose machine.

> Router
>      IP 192.168.1.1
>      Subnet   255.255.255.0

> Computer A
>         host    one.localdomain.org
>         IP      192.168.1.100
>         Subnet  255.255.255.0
>         Bcast   192.168.1.255

> Computer B
>         host    two.localdomain.org
>         IP      192.168.1.101
>         Subnet  255.255.255.0
>         GW:     192.168.1.1

> Computer C Windose
>         host    three.localdomain.org
>         IP      192.168.1.102
>         Subnet  255.255.255.0

          GW:     192.168.1.1

Yes, that looks about right.  I would suggest you read the IPCHAINS-HOWTO
located in the HOWTO section at http://www.linuxdoc.org.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by r0gu » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 00:03:34

> Need help setting up a LAN.

> 1.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up in linux without a router, just a
> hub?

Yes

Quote:> 2.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up between linux and windows computers
> without a router?

Yes

Quote:> 3.  Can a peer to peer LAN be set up between linux and windows computers
> using a router to connect to the internet through a cable modem?

Yes

Quote:> Basic Network Setup Scheme (Please tinker with the following scheme by
> adding or deleting to make it work)

> I assume same subnet and broadcast numbers for all LAN computers, along
> with same domain name (eg, *.localdomain.org) is needed.  And, of
> course, Samba is needed for linux boxes to connect with Windose machine.

> Router
>      IP 192.168.1.1
>      Subnet   255.255.255.0

> Computer A
>         host    one.localdomain.org
>         IP      192.168.1.100
>         Subnet  255.255.255.0
>         Bcast   192.168.1.255

> Computer B
>         host    two.localdomain.org
>         IP      192.168.1.101
>         Subnet  255.255.255.0

> Computer C Windose
>         host    three.localdomain.org
>         IP      192.168.1.102
>         Subnet  255.255.255.0

Looks good - that should have it.  Ensure the windows machine uses the
right gateway, and you may need samba to log in to the linux host.

1. we have SAN(Storage Area Network), can we have CAN (Computer Area Network)

In future, storage will became SAN.
How about CAN (Computer Area Network) ?

We need faster compile speed, we will use more applications, database access
is so slow.
Just buy some servers, add them to the CAN, through web make some
configuration.
So everything is done !

Different server just like different sub-network.
Through the internet , distributed calculate is there.

Jini is a good begining.

and then a new operation system will come.

A chance to beat micro$oft.
Does linux have this kind of product ?

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 3 of 6)

3. subdomains/one IP/local network basic networking question

4. performance meter unable to fire up

5. Basic Network setup on Solaris 8. PLEASE HELP

6. "Connection reset by peer"

7. pls help with basic network setup

8. Sub-C networks?

9. Machines on local area network can't access internet

10. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

11. strange local area network problem

12. firewall computer, local area network, intranet

13. Linux on Local area network