How do I....

Post by Kent Jan » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 01:41:17

I've set up a little experiment here on trying to set up my copy
Redhat 7.1 as a MASQ(firewall) while still behind my existing
firewall, here is my setup.

192.168.1.2(Win2k client computer behind experimental firewall)

192.168.1.1(Redhat Internal Network interface on experimental
firewall)

10.0.0.60(Redhat External Network interface on experimental firewall)

10.0.0.1(Existing firewall internal network interface)

216.x.x.x(Existing firewall external isp network interface

My problem is that with 192.168.1.2 I can ping 192.168.1.1 and
10.0.0.60 but not 10.0.0.1.  I can surf the net and ping internet IP
addresses with the Redhat computer no problem.  I know I'm missing
some setting on the Redhat Firewall setup but I don't know what.  For
the purposes of this experiment I created a rc.firewall file in
/etc/rc.d that has this inside of it:

FWVER=0.62
echo -e "\n\nLoading simple rc.firewall version $FWVER..\n"
IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables
EXTIF="eth0"
INTIF="eth1"
echo "   External Interface:  $EXTIF"
echo "   Internal Interface:  $INTIF"

I then made it executable(chmod 700).  I also ran:

/sbin/rmmod ipchains

to remove the ipchains module because you don't want IPchains and
IPtable running at the same time.  BTW, the above setup I got from:

http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/howto/beta/c-html/index.html

Thanks,
Kent

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. LILO problem

3. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

4. Passing Parameters to Script

5. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

6. Telnet

7. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

8. Qustions about ccd disk driver

9. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

10. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

11. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

12. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

13. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format