Setting up Linux NIS+ client with Sun Solaris NIS+ server.

Setting up Linux NIS+ client with Sun Solaris NIS+ server.

Post by Henrik Schmiedic » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

     Hello,
I am trying to setup (my first) Linux NIS+ client. The process
should be straight forward, but I am having problem with the
"keylogin -r" step. Can someone see what I am doing wrong?

On the Solaris 2.7 NIS+ server (say nissys.tamu.edu) I add the
credentials:

and enter the client root passwords. The NIS domain is "mynis.tamu.edu"
the client name is "sys1" or fully qualified "sys1.tamu.edu".

On the Linux client (Linux Mandrake 6.1 / Redhat 6 based distribution) I
type:

   domainname mynis.tamu.edu
   nisinit -c -H nissys.tamu.edu
   keyserv

so far everything seems OK. The final step is:

   keylogin -r

I enter the clients root password and I get the error message:

do not know why this error appears. Even at this stage the NIS+ tables
seem to be available. On the client I can type:

   niscat passwd.org-dir

and I get the password list from my NIS+ server.

Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

        - Henrik
--
Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843

1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

Hello,

I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
there was no solution.

I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
following this howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/serveur/nis

everything seems to be ok
my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

i can only log with root

loggued with root in can do :
su - cao8
and it works fine

so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

2. Bouncher under Linux

3. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

4. Mouse and Keyboard won't work with XFree86

5. NIS client on Linux with Sun NIS server.

6. Motorola SM56

7. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client

8. Can ls show total Kbytes of "foo*"?

9. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

10. Solaris 8 Nis+ server and RH Linux 7.3 Nis+ client ---- Problems and Questions

11. linux NIS client not binding to Solaris NIS+ server

12. Linux nis client with solaris nis server in C2 security mode

13. linux nis server solaris nis client?