multiple virtual email domains on a single IP - possible?

multiple virtual email domains on a single IP - possible?

Post by Ian Dougl » Sun, 20 May 2001 04:32:59

Running RedHat v7.0, and trying to share a single IP for multiple
virtual Email domains, but having difficulty with it. Setting up
Apache is a breeze, no problem at all.

So, for an example, I have 1.2.3.4 dedicated to my system, and want
domain1.com and domain2.com hosted on that IP address.

So I create user "john" on domain1.com and domain2.com, and send a
simple test message to each account.

If I set my Email program to conenct to domain2.com, I download the
message from domain1.com.

So I change the passwords, and send another test message. Now I get an
error saying my password is wrong - even though I'm telling it to
connect to domain2.com, it's still connecting to domain1.com, I
*think* because of the shared IP address.

I need a workaround. Any suggestions are welcomed.

-id

Post by Brian Steven » Sun, 20 May 2001 06:48:44

> Running RedHat v7.0, and trying to share a single IP for multiple
> virtual Email domains, but having difficulty with it. Setting up
> Apache is a breeze, no problem at all.

> So, for an example, I have 1.2.3.4 dedicated to my system, and want
> domain1.com and domain2.com hosted on that IP address.

> So I create user "john" on domain1.com and domain2.com, and send a
> simple test message to each account.

> If I set my Email program to conenct to domain2.com, I download the
> message from domain1.com.

> So I change the passwords, and send another test message. Now I get an
> error saying my password is wrong - even though I'm telling it to
> connect to domain2.com, it's still connecting to domain1.com, I
> *think* because of the shared IP address.

> I need a workaround. Any suggestions are welcomed.

> -id

What are you using as your mail exchanger (i.e., what program is
receiving
and processing the mail)?  I know how to do this with Sendmail and
Postfix.

Brian

  Brian Stevens                 STEVENS.COM, Inc.

        Systems Administration Consultant

multiple virtual email domains on a single IP - possible?

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 20 May 2001 14:15:41

Hi Ian,

Quote:> Running RedHat v7.0, and trying to share a single IP for multiple
> virtual Email domains, but having difficulty with it. Setting up
> Apache is a breeze, no problem at all.

> So, for an example, I have 1.2.3.4 dedicated to my system, and want
> domain1.com and domain2.com hosted on that IP address.

> So I create user "john" on domain1.com and domain2.com, and send a
> simple test message to each account.

> If I set my Email program to conenct to domain2.com, I download the
> message from domain1.com.

> So I change the passwords, and send another test message. Now I get an
> error saying my password is wrong - even though I'm telling it to
> connect to domain2.com, it's still connecting to domain1.com, I
> *think* because of the shared IP address.

I am not exactally sure what MTA (mail transport agent) you are using, but you
might like to take a look at the support in qmail to achieve what you are
doing.  From all reports it handles multiple email domains with great ease.
The URL for qmail is: http://www.qmail.org.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. multiple virtual email domains on a single IP - possible?

Running RedHat v7.0, and trying to share a single IP for multiple
virtual Email domains, but having difficulty with it. Setting up
Apache is a breeze, no problem at all.

So, for an example, I have 1.2.3.4 dedicated to my system, and want
domain1.com and domain2.com hosted on that IP address.

So I create user "john" on domain1.com and domain2.com, and send a
simple test message to each account.

If I set my Email program to conenct to domain2.com, I download the
message from domain1.com.

So I change the passwords, and send another test message. Now I get an
error saying my password is wrong - even though I'm telling it to
connect to domain2.com, it's still connecting to domain1.com, I
*think* because of the shared IP address.

I need a workaround. Any suggestions are welcomed.

-id

2. Question about Samba????????????????????

3. HELP: e-mail forwarding with multiple domains on single interface

4. DLPI/Streams Questions

5. Multiple domains, single IP ?

6. Serving fonts to Linux Thin clients from a Windows server?

7. MULTIPLE DOMAIN NAMES single IP ??

8. RH5.2 Works With a ASUS 486DX-66 EISA Motherboard??

9. How to configure multiple domains on a single IP

10. Mail server for multiple domain using a single IP address

11. E-mail for multiple virtual domains

12. Seperating Multiple Domains pointed to a single IP?

13. Single IP Address - Multiple hosts each with different domain name.