rpc.lockd (or lockd) on Linux ?

Post by Robert Sima » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Does the rpc.lockd or equivalent exists on Linux?

I intended to use Linux as a File server - and found out that some of
applications are failing to work from other hosts - because they use
lockf().
I checked *all* of the FAQ's and no mention of rpc.lockd or lockd at
all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

rpc.lockd (or lockd) on Linux ?

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Does the rpc.lockd or equivalent exists on Linux?

> I intended to use Linux as a File server - and found out that some of
> applications are failing to work from other hosts - because they use
> lockf().
> I checked *all* of the FAQ's and no mention of rpc.lockd or lockd at
> all.

> Any ideas?

Wait for 2.2, or use 2.1 is you're really brave.  Linus, Olaf, and company
have decided to reimplement the whole nfs deal, including moving it into
kernel space to speed things up, and adding a statd and lockd.  Until then,
you're out of luck...

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-5 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

1. Problem with rpc.lockd [lockd] process

Hi,
we have a cluster of some linux systems, which are connected via nfs
to a server. On this server the process [lockd] (rpc.lockd) doesn't
exist any more. After reboot, the process vanish. Now, mailing has problems
to send mail locally that serversystem.

does anybody no,
 - what this process does
 - why (perhaps) this process stops working
 - and where some documantation exists ?

Thanks in advance
Helmut

        G S I  --  Gesellschaft fuer Schwerionenforschung

      -DV&EE- Computing
System Manager DEC/OpenVMS and Linux

2. DHCP: Blocking a client from getting an address

3. Ipchains Worked

4. rpc.lockd & rpc.statd for Linux

5. mpeg

6. NFS : port of rpc.statd & rpc.lockd to Linux ?

7. SLS Problems 3

8. HELP!- I need rpc.lockd and rpc.statd for linux.

9. RPC.LOCKD cannot contact RPC.STATD. HELP!!

10. rpc.statd & rpc.lockd?

11. Need help with rpc.statd and rpc.lockd messages (AIX 3.2)

12. Linux as file server: missing rpc.lockd