Problem with RealAudio player 3.0

Post by Dewey Paciaf » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I've just downloaded the RealAudio player for Linux, and seem to have a bit of
a problem. First, I'm running 1.2.13 with an AMD PR133 cpu with 32 MB EDO and a
33.6 modem. I'm running version 3.0.1 of the Voxware sound driver. I'm using a
SoundBlaster 16 and I've tried the latest version of the OSS sound driver with
the same results. When I open local files,  they play fine. When I open files
on the net using Netscape or RealAudio alone, the files don't play. Using
netstat, I can see the connection to the remote end and I see packets arriving.
RealAudio is chewing up the cpu, but nothing comes out of my speakers :(.
RealAudio never buffers any data, and when I look at the stats, everything is
zero. When I try to play an 11 second  clip, for instance, RA looks like it's
going to do something impressive for the 11 seconds and then reports that it's
done.

Anybody else run across this?

__
Dewey Paciaffi

Post by Edouard Lafargu » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>  I've just downloaded  the RealAudio player for  Linux, and  seem to
> have a bit of a problem. First, I'm running 1.2.13 with an AMD PR133
> cpu with 32 MB  EDO and a 33.6 modem.  I'm running version 3.0.1  of
> the Voxware sound driver. I'm using a SoundBlaster 16 and I've tried
> the  latest   version  of  the   OSS sound  driver    with  the same
> results. When I open local files, they  play fine. When I open files
> on  the  net using Netscape  or  RealAudio  alone, the  files  don't
> play. Using netstat, I can see the connection  to the remote end and
> I  see packets  arriving.   RealAudio  is  chewing  up the  cpu, but
> nothing comes  out of my  speakers :(.   RealAudio never buffers any
> data, and when I look  at the stats,  everything is zero. When I try
> to play an 11 second clip, for instance, RA looks like it's going to
> do something impressive for  the 11 seconds   and then reports  that
> it's done.  Anybody else run across this?

        I did !
        I  corrected this problem  by   forcing Realaudio to use   TCP
transfer  mode:  view/preferences/transport   then  click   on "Select
network transport" and "change settings"; then enable only "Attempt to
use TCP  for all content". It's  the only way  I got  raplayer to play
non-local files. Anyway, I'm behind a kind of firewall, so UDP packets
from the outside world can't reach my PC...
        If it works for you, let us know !

        -- Edouard

1. RealAudio Player problems

I have a 100% SoundBlaster compatible 16-bit sound card, and has my kernel
configured that way (kernel 2.0.27 compiled with sound support). I can play
aus, wavs, and midis fine, but I have been trouble trying to get the RealAudio
Player (v3.0) to work... Any RealAudio that I download pretty much just sounds
like static noise (this includes the welcome.ra that came with the player). Has
anybody else had this problem? When I do a cat /dev/sndstat, everything seems
fine. (I have sound driver version 3.5.4). If anybody can help with regard to
this matter, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much,
MZhang

2. how can i run Mcafee(tdv) on a new B50?

3. Realaudio player problem!

4. kerberos on X terminals

5. Problem with RealAudio 3.0

6. Should we reuse mag tapes?

7. Linux pnserver (RealAudio server) and Windows Media Player

8. SCSI WangDAT problems on Solaris 2.4 x86

9. QUERY: old "raplayer" binaries? (RealAudio player)

10. RealAudio Player for HPUX10.20?

11. RealAudio Player with SB 2.0 (/dev/mixer?)

12. realaudio player w/source code

13. RealAudio & RealVideo Players