NFS mounting large number of, Redhat 8.0

NFS mounting large number of, Redhat 8.0

Post by Peter Lan » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:44:17

When the system boots or I do mount -a with abount 170 NFS mount points
listed in the fstab file, Linux mounts from 40 to 112 of them and give
me the error
    NFS bindresvport; Address already in use

If I do mount -a again; Linux system will mount more file systems < 40
more
If I do mount -a for about 5-6 times, all filesystem will be mounted.

Thanks
Peter Lang

Post by Joshua Baker-LePai » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 01:49:44

> When the system boots or I do mount -a with abount 170 NFS mount points
> listed in the fstab file, Linux mounts from 40 to 112 of them and give
> me the error
>     NFS bindresvport; Address already in use
> If I do mount -a again; Linux system will mount more file systems < 40
> more
> If I do mount -a for about 5-6 times, all filesystem will be mounted.

Do you really need all those mounts all the time?  I'd think that
autofs is your friend here...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

Post by Peter Lan » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:01:59

> > When the system boots or I do mount -a with abount 170 NFS mount points
> > listed in the fstab file, Linux mounts from 40 to 112 of them and give
> > me the error
> >     NFS bindresvport; Address already in use

> > If I do mount -a again; Linux system will mount more file systems < 40
> > more
> > If I do mount -a for about 5-6 times, all filesystem will be mounted.

> Do you really need all those mounts all the time?  I'd think that
> autofs is your friend here...

> --
> Joshua Baker-LePain
> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> Duke University

I have not tried autofs, but automounter was a real pain.  Some of our makes
need to see 30-40 mount points, I think I will have the same problem.  My
other Unix
boxes, about 40 (Tru64 and SGI), have no problems with this.

Peter Lang