Auto static IP if DHCP server goes down.

Auto static IP if DHCP server goes down.

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Just wondering if anyone has a setup to monitor dhcpcd to bring up a
static IP connection if the dhcp server dies?  I am using RedHat 5.0.

Our remote non-Linux (Netware) DHCP server apparently became confused,
and while it still working on our factory LAN, it stopped responding
to remote offices (I could not even ping it).  When dhcp leases
started expiring, I set static addresses on Win95 boxes on our LAN,
but did not think about Linux.

When Linux dhcpcd could not renew its lease, it simply gave up and
brought down eth0.  For some reason this also caused mgetty to stop
answering the phone, so I could no longer dial in to the shell or ppp
to correct this.  Needless to say, a modem on the router could not get
into Linux either with eth0 down.  And when I did get into the office,
the netcfg tool would not work either (crashed with nameserver
problem), apparently because an empty "nameserver" statement ended up
in resolv.conf even if there are is no DNS (did dhcpcd do that?).

The Netware server at our factory has been troublesome at best lately.
Fortunately we do not do Netware in remote offices, so all we need it
for is DHCP.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Our remote non-Linux (Netware) DHCP server apparently became confused,
> and while it still working on our factory LAN, it stopped responding
> to remote offices (I could not even ping it).  When dhcp leases
> started expiring, I set static addresses on Win95 boxes on our LAN,
> but did not think about Linux.

If setting static addresses is a viable solution then so is setting a
very long expiry time (several months) on leases.

Quote:> When Linux dhcpcd could not renew its lease, it simply gave up and
> brought down eth0.  For some reason this also caused mgetty to stop
> answering the phone, so I could no longer dial in to the shell or ppp
> to correct this.  Needless to say, a modem on the router could not get
> into Linux either with eth0 down.  And when I did get into the office,
> the netcfg tool would not work either (crashed with nameserver
> problem), apparently because an empty "nameserver" statement ended up
> in resolv.conf even if there are is no DNS (did dhcpcd do that?).

Probably, that sounds like a bug to me.

--

 .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

 # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |