NIS setup problem

Post by ??°?? » Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:26:48

Hi All,
I have some trouble to set up a NIS.
I installed all NIS daemons(ypserv, yppasswdd and ypbind) successfully.
But when I changed my passwd using yppasswd in client machine, it changed
only the passwd of server.
So, when I logged in the client machin, I should use old passwd of client
machine.
I think the client machine can't get the NIS information from the server.

Do you know the reason and solution?
Thanks for helping!

---
Keon

NIS setup problem

Post by PDoc » Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:40:35

Quote:> I think the client machine can't get the NIS information from the server.

> Do you know the reason and solution?
> Thanks for helping!

> ---
> Keon

The 'client machine' uses it own passwd file for any user before the +::::::
and then looks to the NIS server for other users. Best guess is you added
this user to both the client machine as well as on the server machine. This
is fine as long as you have scripts to sync the two /home/... directories
and have users change passwords with both passwd and yppasswd.
Chances are this is not what you intended so delete 'nonadmin-users'  from
any client machine and have all user files on the NIS server.

NIS setup problem

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sat, 14 Feb 2004 02:56:45

> I have some trouble to set up a NIS.
> I installed all NIS daemons(ypserv, yppasswdd and ypbind) successfully.
> But when I changed my passwd using yppasswd in client machine, it changed
> only the passwd of server.
> So, when I logged in the client machin, I should use old passwd of client
> machine.
> I think the client machine can't get the NIS information from the server.

Under RedHat, there is a directory /var/yp which hosts the data
files. You need to run "make" in that directory. It might reside
somewere else in different distros.

Vilmos

1. NIS setup problem on Solaris 2.6 5/98

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a NIS server on a Enterprise 450 unter Solaris 2.6 HW:5/98.
The situation is:

1. the machine is a secondary name server
2. there is also a NIS domain (served by non-SUN machine)
3. the machine is *not* configured for this NIS domain (instead I would
   setup this machine as a new master NIS server for a different domain)
4. to setup this machine as a master NIS server for a new NIS domain was
   fine and works very well
5. NIS domain name is *completely* different from the real DNS domain name

BUT

now I can't boot the machine anymore (only in single-user mode). The machine
hangs after starting the NIS daemons (incl. yppasswd etc.). I figured out,
that the next command (ifconfig on all interfaces to setup netmasks) doesn't
work. I don't know what's happen - there are no erros, warnings in log files
or something like this. I suppose, the machine is waiting for something ... ?
NIS seems to be started but the command /usr/sbin/ifconfig -auD netmasks +
broadcast + doesn't work (or can't get the information from the NIS maps?)...
Name service DNS will be started after NIS...

Does anybody have an idea what's going on there?

BTW: would it be better to use NIS+ in compatib. mode instead of NIS (in my
     environment there are only 5 SUN machine and 10 other which does not
     support NIS+)

Thank you for any help.

Martin

2. Web Server CGI

3. NIS Setup problem

4. PC-9800 subarch. support for 2.5.64-ac3 (6/20) DMA

5. NIS+ setup problem

6. Newbie Needs help in Rsync

7. more NIS setup problems

8. shared UIDs

9. NIS setup problem

10. NIS Setup Problem on Sol2.6

11. NIS+ setup problem - login fails on client

12. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

13. Howto setup secure rpc without using nis/nis+