Linux internet sharing and VPN network

Post by TECNISA Development Te » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:38:24

I need to access a database server through the internet. The hosting
company gave us a account in a VPN server to make this connection
safely.

We have no problem on that when we use a single machine (Linux or not)
to connect to the server and open this sort of tunnel that they said
that the VPN opens. But the problem starts when we decide to put more
than one machine, sharing the internet connection on the Linux box, to
connect to the VPN server.

We can share the internet connection through proxy (Squid). We
installed a VPN client (VPN 5000 from Cisco Systems) on each Windows
machine. The Windows machines seems to connect to the VPN server
normally, but when we try to access the database server we can't. The
hosting company said that the problem was the proxy; with proxy the
tunnel was opened with the proxy server, not with the VPN server.
Another version is that with the tunnel the windows machine lost the
access to the local network, so it lost the access to the proxy
server, and lost the access to the internet, but the VPN connection
seems to be OK.

I'm not sure that I understand the problem. Sorry for that.

Is that another way to do that? Maybe not using a proxy. Will IP
masquerade work?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Zed.

Post by Peter » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 01:20:39

>I need to access a database server through the internet. The hosting
>company gave us a account in a VPN server to make this connection
>safely.

>We have no problem on that when we use a single machine (Linux or not)
>to connect to the server and open this sort of tunnel that they said
>that the VPN opens. But the problem starts when we decide to put more
>than one machine, sharing the internet connection on the Linux box, to
>connect to the VPN server.

>We can share the internet connection through proxy (Squid). We
>installed a VPN client (VPN 5000 from Cisco Systems) on each Windows
>machine. The Windows machines seems to connect to the VPN server
>normally, but when we try to access the database server we can't. The
>hosting company said that the problem was the proxy; with proxy the
>tunnel was opened with the proxy server, not with the VPN server.
>Another version is that with the tunnel the windows machine lost the
>access to the local network, so it lost the access to the proxy
>server, and lost the access to the internet, but the VPN connection
>seems to be OK.

You have an overly complicated setup in my opinion.

What sort of VPN gateway is the other end using?  Based on that, you
can set up a compatible VPN gateway on your end.  After that, multiple
machines on your side (behind the gateway) would be able to
participate.  The proxy server should be removed for the initial
tests.  And drop the VPN clients.  I am not an expert in this but this
is what I see.  How many people are connecting to the net via Squid?
Do you really need it?

PM

1. Win2K/RH 8 Network Share + Internet Share

Scott Tribble enlightened us with:

Google for 'samba' (file & printer sharing) and 'iptables' (firewall &
connection sharing). Also make sure you visit http://www.tldp.org/

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

2. SVGAText

3. Network to Network IPSec VPN using RHEL/CentOS: separate VPN Router and LAN Gateway

4. A Linux PDA? (was Re: Can the Newton be carried on beyond Apple?)

5. Networking linux to win98se + internet connection sharing.

6. Improved greys on gs driven printers

7. linux win2k network and internet sharing setup

8. VAResearch machines and Linux question.

9. Share Windows internet with Linux over network

10. How to setup Linux to share a single internet account in a network?

11. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

12. OpenSwan - Linux VPN to Linux VPN

13. internet connection sharing or one network using one ip