ip masquerade

Post by à±èˉ » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi there !

Is THERE ANYONE KNOWING WHY LINUX IP MASQUERADE MACHINE USE 2 NIC CARDS ?

I think it might be enough to use only 1 NIC Card .

My Question - Can this masquerade strategy work (install 1 NIC Cards) ?

The scenario that can be worked with 1 NIC Card is
when arriving packets from outside internet , Linux Machine changes the
Destination ADDRESS and MAC ADDRESS, so it can be delivered .
and when want to deliver packets from inside to outside ,THE LINUX MACHINE
CHANGES SRC IP ADDRESS.

Is it really necessary to use 2 NIC Cards if Masquerade Machine Changes MAC
ADDRESS AND IP ADDRESS NOT ONLY CHANGING IP ADDRESS ?

Thanks in advance .

1. IP Masquerading works, but does not masquerade from within the local network

I've got a box running Redhat 6.1 working as a gateway for our home network.
It's connected to a cable modem, and we've only got one IP address, so it's
doing IP forwarding and masquerading for us.

Now, consider this situation: I've got a webcam running on one of my windows
boxes, whose IP address is 192.168.0.1 (for instance). The webcam is on port
8888, and I've got the linux box set up to forward this port along from
port, say, 9999, using a line much like

ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 9999 -R 192.168.0.1 8888

in my rc.local.

This works very well for people connecting in from outside - they'd use a
URL like:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9999/video/frame

but if I try and use that URL from inside the local network, it doesn't
connect, I'd have to use:

http://192.168.0.1:8888/video/frame

which is rather annoying as it makes it difficult to test things (I have to
VNC out to work and boot up a browser there)

I'm fairly sure the problem isn't with the webcam software - I've had the
same problem when trying to connected to an apache server inside the network
as well.

any ideas?

cheers,

Tim

2. installing Linux...help!

3. IP MASQuerading NOT Masquerading?

4. Howto upgrade gcc in linux

5. Screen resolution

6. Backup scripts, IP firewalling and IP masquerading

7. If REDHAT is listening, suggestions for Redhat 5.1

8. IP NAT and IP Masquerading

9. IP-Chains vs. IP-Masquerade

10. IP Masquerade , IP Chains

11. proxy route gateway ip masquerading ip chains ?

12. IP masquerading wint RH 5.2 multiple IP