HELP! Network is unreachable.

Post by ¥?§?1 » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:03:22

Hi,

I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.
It worked well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the internet.
There are no errors when the computer is booting. But when I use the
following
command,

ping 127.0.0.1

I get
Network is unreachable.

Why?

Hung-Ta

Post by Jhair Tocancipa Trian » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:02:00

">" == Hung-Ta Pai <Hung-Ta> writes:

   > Hi, I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.  It worked
   > well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the
   > internet.  There are no errors when the computer is booting. But
   > when I use the following command,

   > ping 127.0.0.1

   > I get Network is unreachable.

   > Why?

Helps to read

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/index.html

?

--
--Jhair

Public Key fingerprint = 81FF 3ADF BF6B CECB C593  4018 27AE D7D2 BAA6 00D0

Post by codfathe » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 07:23:47

> Hi,

> I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.
> It worked well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the internet.
> There are no errors when the computer is booting. But when I use the
> following
> command,

> ping 127.0.0.1

> I get
> Network is unreachable.

> Why?

> Hung-Ta

Is this a firewall issue, have you ipchains or iptables installed, check
them as root, 'ipchains -L -nv', they should all be ACCEPT. If your
machine has re-booted recently, it will have re-applied the default set.

codfather

HELP! Network is unreachable.

Post by 白宏達 » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 15:37:11

I use the command you suggested. But it shows
"incompatible kernel". How should I do next?

Post by James Knot » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 19:43:52

> Hi,

> I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.
> It worked well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the
> internet. There are no errors when the computer is booting. But when I use
> the following
> command,

> ping 127.0.0.1

> I get
> Network is unreachable.

> Why?

If the software & configuration hasn't changed, I'd suspect a hardware
failure, likely a loose or bad cable.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by Antoine EMERI » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:25:58

>>Hi,

>>I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.
>>It worked well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the
>>internet. There are no errors when the computer is booting. But when I use
>>the following
>>command,

>>ping 127.0.0.1

>>I get
>>Network is unreachable.

>>Why?

> If the software & configuration hasn't changed, I'd suspect a hardware
> failure, likely a loose or bad cable.

Get more information :

- output of 'ifconfig' command
- output of 'route -n' command
- output of 'iptables -L' command
- output of 'ipchains -L' command (doesn't work in your case)

regards

HELP! Network is unreachable.

Post by M. Thom » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 02:05:14

Quote:> > I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.
> > It worked well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the
> > internet. There are no errors when the computer is booting. But when I use
> > the following
> > command,

> > ping 127.0.0.1

> > I get
> > Network is unreachable.

What the message is saying is that when the system attempted to send
an ICMP echo request to 127.0.0.1, it couldn't find the network
defined in the routing table.  Basically, it doesn't know where to
send the ping.

This is the message you would get if your routing table was
misconfigured or trashed.  Try doing "netstat -rn" and comparing the
output to a good system.  You can also do a search on google for
information on what the routing table should look like.

You should always be able to ping the local loopback, 127.0.0.1.  Or,
the system doesn't even have a network NIC configured?  What does
"ifconfig -a" tell you?  You should always see the loopback listed,
even if the network driver isn't loaded for the NIC.

If just the loopback interface is missing, you can try adding it
manually:

        root# ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
        root# route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo

Post by YorikNM » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:34:00

> Hi,

> I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.
> It worked well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the internet.
> There are no errors when the computer is booting. But when I use the
> following
> command,

> ping 127.0.0.1

> I get
> Network is unreachable.

> Why?

> Hung-Ta

You might try /sbin/service network start, or status.
On that note, try /sbin/ifconfig as well.

Post by Nick Haddoc » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:19:26

>> Hi,

>> I am using Redhat 7.2 and Apache as my web server.
>> It worked well until several days ago. Now I cannot connect to the internet.
>> There are no errors when the computer is booting. But when I use the
>> following
>> command,

>> ping 127.0.0.1

>> I get
>> Network is unreachable.

>> Why?

>> Hung-Ta

> You might try /sbin/service network start, or status.
> On that note, try /sbin/ifconfig as well.

have you applied a firewall rulebase, and not allowed packets to the
loopback address?

codfather

1. PCMCIA Network Card - Help! Network unreachable.

Hi!  I'd like a little help, if possible.

I have a pcmcia network card that isn't connecting to the network.

Details:

I have the following:

Compaq LTE Elite 4/75 Laptop
2 pcmcia slots
        1 SMC EliteCard PCMCIA Ethernet Adapter
        1 Compaq 19200 Fax/Modem

I just installed the Slackware 3.0 distribution  (kernel 1.2.13)
using
        bootdsk - net
        rootdsk - pcmcia
+
        disks A1-5 and N1-4  - hoping to get the rest via the net.

Problem:  Lights on nobody home!  Link light is lit, but I can reach the network.

        Get a few lines to like "SCIOCSIFADDR:  No such device"

It seems my cardmgr is working, because when I pop the card out, it beeps.
I also see the card services start in the startup scripts.

I've looked at the PCMCIA-HOWTO, but I don't think I need to follow those
instructions, because I should already have the kernel support.

What AM I FORGETTING/MISSING?

Please Help.  (Please respond via email if answering after 10/9/95 - I'll
        be out of town for a week and the NNTP server will probably have flushed
        the answers by then)

2. find syntax

3. Network setup problem with Redhat 6.1 -- "network unreachable"

4. Search and Replace using sed and shell variable

5. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

6. IMS5.1 for intel

7. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

8. slow telnet (not a dns/resolve issue)

9. sendto: Network is unreachable...please help!

10. PPP help -Network is unreachable

11. -->!!HELP: Network Unreachable when using PPP connection

12. need help in adding a computer to internal home network (host unreachable)

13. "Network unreachable"..... help!!