'unknown server' with dip....the way I fixed it, plus a few questions

'unknown server' with dip....the way I fixed it, plus a few questions

Post by ENVS » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Warning: I know very little about this stuff....but this worked.

I have seen this question a few times. I was getting the unknown server
error when I tried to run dip this morning. Note: I just installed the N
diskset
to give me the networking stuff eralier on this morning. A friend (thanks
Jim)
said to do the following: (my machine is called Grantura, and it's not
networked
or anything yet)

1) Change etc/HOSTNAME to Grantura.ESEI.com
2) chnage where it says localhost in etc/hosts to Grantura
3) in etc/tc.d/rc.inet1 make sure to add the line /bin/hostname Grantura
Reboot.

Now dip -t works. I played around with HOSTNAME and /bin/hostname, and
I am not sure if one overides the other....could somebody expand?? i.e.,
if I change the line to /bin/hostname Grantura.ESEI.com, that is what my
machine name becomes!! I just need a little more detail on how this
host/hostname business works. Will my machine be known as Grantura, or
Grantura.ESEI.com?

Marcus

1. 'Unknown server error' after the /sbin/dip

Hi, everybody,

I was debugging a slip.dip script. Also I use a shell script( called
net, which is attached in this news) in Root account.

My net shell script failed. After that I manually use the /sbin/dip -t
I got the " Unknown server error " and quit.

Appreciate any advice.

/George

[ Net < 1K ]
#!/bin/sh

# shell script to dial in using dip
# and place a dynamically assigned IP address
# into /etc/hosts
#
# Mon Nov 11 00:34:18 MET 1996

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
IP=/tmp/ip$$
NAME=/tmp/name$$

set -e
dip slip.dip
until ifconfig | fgrep  P-t-P> /dev/null
do echo Waiting for ifconfig to report connection...
   sleep 2
done
ifconfig | sed -n '/P-t-P/s/inet addr: *\([0-9.]*\).*/\1/p' > $IP
host $(cat $IP) | sed -n 's/Name: *//p' > $NAME
hostname --file $NAME
echo Host name set to $(hostname)
echo -e 127.0.0.1\\tlocalhost\\t$(cat /etc/hostname) > /etc/hosts
paste $IP $NAME >> /etc/hosts
rm -f $IP $NAME

runq

2. PATCH: fix GTUNER on w9966

3. Dip 'Unknown Server Error'

4. Reservation/Scheduling System and Events Calendar

5. DIP and 'Unknown Server Errors'

6. Undocumented fsck option

7. Help! dip 'Unknown server error'

8. Problems when compile the core

9. Help: dip error 'unknown server error'

10. dip fails with 'Unknown server error'

11. Can't get dip to run: unknown server error

12. Fatal server error: couldn't open default font 'fixed'

13. startx => Fatal server error => couldn't open default font 'fixed'