Routing and my net and inet and stuff

Post by David Krau » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I have a LAN with a bunch of
subnets at lets say 192.168.x.x. My ISDN router needs to see addresses at
lets say 200.200.200.x  How do I translate from one range to another so my
users can still do their internal stuff and be able to get on the
internet. Do I need to set up a linux box to do this somehow?? All help
GREATLY appreciated!!

Routing and my net and inet and stuff

Post by Johannes Stil » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I have a LAN with a bunch of
>subnets at lets say 192.168.x.x. My ISDN router needs to see addresses at
>lets say 200.200.200.x  How do I translate from one range to another so my
>users can still do their internal stuff and be able to get on the
>internet. Do I need to set up a linux box to do this somehow?? All help
>GREATLY appreciated!!

If you really have enough addresses to translate them one-to-one, just
renumber the hosts on your LAN to use official IP addresses. But I
assume that you  don't have enough real IP addresses, probably only a
single one. In this case you need proxy servers to translate the
addresses. Have a look at the TIS firewall toolkit on ftp.tis.com.
(I've never seen it myself, but is has often been recommended.)

        Johannes

Routing and my net and inet and stuff

Post by Alex Watso » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

We are doing the same thing and having some problems.  You will need a
router to reroute to the other subnets.  Linux is a good choice to route,
but I have heard of a package called KA9Q (some ham name) that will do
routing on a 386 type machine.

Hope this gives you a way to proceed.